Student Tailgate This Saturday
Students, get your blue and gold on, paint your faces and head to Dix Stadium this Saturday for a special tailgate before the home football opener.
The Student Tailgate Zone will begin at 4 p.m. in the southwest corner of the stadium by the softball field before the 7 p.m. game against Louisiana. This event is free to all Kent State students. Just bring your FLASHcard to enter. You may bring up to two guests by purchasing tickets ahead of time at the ticket office.
The Temper Twins and DJ Breezy will provide music, and there will also be cornhole, a dunk tank, a mechanical bull and discounted food and beverages. FLASHcards are good for all food purchases. Bus service to the stadium is available in front of Risman Plaza and will be departing every 2-3 minutes.
Join your fellow Flashes by RSVPing at: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=135839649845510&ref=nf
Other Fun for Students
In addition to the student tailgate, here's what else is going on in and around Dix Stadium:
- At 4:30 p.m., the Fan Experience will open in the Field House. Now in it's second year, the event features inflatables, a sports bar area, food vendors and a group picnic area. In addition, this Saturday representatives from Kent State's championship teams and NCAA wrestling champion Dustin Kilgore will be signing autographs.
- At approximately 5 p.m., the Golden Flashes football team will arrive at the Field House for the "Flash Walk." New this year, head coach Darrell Hazell and two players will address the crowd prior to heading over to the stadium.
- Twenty minutes before kick-off, Kent State will honor all of its championship teams and individuals from the 2010-11 season with a pregame parade on the field.
- At halftime, the Kent State marching band will perform a medley of tunes from each branch of the armed forces. As part of Heroes' Night, a Wounded Warrior will be honored and a representative from each branch of the military will be recognized, as well as local fire, police and rescue squad members.
- Following the band show, the Athletic Department will dedicate the George Jenkins and Jim Phelan Hall of Fame Plaza in the south end of Dix Stadium. Longtime supporters of Kent State Athletics, Jenkins and Phelan have generously donated $400,000 towards the Football Enhancement Fund. Upon its completion, the plaza will honor Kent State's football greats and will include Varsity "K" Hall of Fame inductees, retired jersey honorees and NFL standouts.
For more information on Kent State Athletics, visit www.kentstatesports.com.