J-2 dependents may request employment from USCIS. The income for such employment must be used to supplement or enhance the family's customary recreational and cultural activities and related travel, among other things. Employment will not be authorized if this income is needed to support the J-1 principal. Support for the J-1 principal and dependent(s) must be provided by the J-1.
1. Make an appointment with ISSS and bring the following:
2. Completed Form I-765 (http://www.uscis.gov/i-765)
3. Check or money order in the amount of $380.00 made payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
4. Photocopy of J-1's DS -2019 and passport
5. Photocopy of your J-2's DS - 2019 and passport
6. A written statement, with any supporting evidence showing that your employment is not necessary to support the J-1 but is for other purposes such as cultural activities and sightseeing trips
7. Photocopy of both sides of the Form(s) I-94(s) of the J-1 and the J-2 dependent(s) and a copy of the front and back of your I-94 card. If you entered the U.S. after May 2013, visit: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html to retrieve the I-94
8. Two 2" by 2" passport-sized photos
If permission for employment is authorized, an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) is issued and is valid for any kind of full-time or part-time employment for the period of time stated on the EAD. The employment authorization is valid only if the J-1 principal is maintaining status.