- Current & Future Students
Karen Zapko - MSN, RN
I currently teach community nursing, nursing professional development, the LPN transition courses, as well as a variety of elective courses. I also coordinate the senior level classes, our LPN- BSN program, clinical placement of our students, and NCLEX preparation for our graduating students. I have taught all levels of the BSN program and have held many clinical nursing positions, mostly in critical care nursing, community nursing, and staff education. I am instructor for BLS and ACLS and have been a reviewer for several nursing textbooks. I am presently pursuing a doctoral degree in Curriculum and Instruction at Kent State University.
My current research interests lie in the improvement of teaching in both the classroom and the clinical area. I am particularly interested in the use of the online medium of instruction.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- Zapko, K. (1996). Nursing can take you anywhere, be open to the possibilities. Envision Your Future, A Sigma Theta Tau International Publication, 1, 1.
- Zapko, K. (July, 1997). Caring for the World – In Atlanta. RN, 60, 7: 41-43.
- Using an Online Clinical Postconference to Improve Reflection in Baccalaureate Nursing Students. May 2010. Teaching Professor National Conference. Boston, MA.
- Teaching Strategies for Clinical Preceptors. May 2008. Kent State University Salem Campus. Salem, Ohio.
- Teaching and Learning Strategies to Use in the Classroom with Adult Learners. July 2007. American Technical Institute. Cleveland, Ohio. Strategies to Improve Clinical Teaching. May 2007. Key note Speaker for the Ohio Organization of Practical Nurse Educators Annual Meeting. Columbus, Ohio.
- Fostering Critical Thinking in Clinical Nursing Education. February 2007. Trumbull County Career and Technical Center. Warren, Ohio.
- Olympic Nursing, December 1996. Presented at KSU School of Nursing Colloquium.
- Preoperative Anxiety and Patient Satisfaction. May 1995. Sigma Theta Tau conference, Taking Nursing Research to the Bedside.
- Preoperative Anxiety and Patient Satisfaction. April 1995. Annual Midwest Nursing Research Conference, Kansas City, KS.
- Online Education
- Improving Teaching Practices
- Fostering Reflection in Teachers and Students
- Inquiry - Based Education
- Sigma Theta Tau International