Barbara L. Drew, Ph.D., RN, PMHCNS-BC
My research interest has been driven by my clinical experience working with people who are suicidal. I felt compelled to explore how suicide can be prevented. I have studied the use of no-suicide/no-harm contracts, the experience of suicidal people who come to emergency departments, how adolescents and young adults manage their symptoms of depression and suicidality, and predictors of suicidal ideation in Thai women.
Recently, I have been examining the effects of health-promoting behaviors by nursing students, particularly mind-body self-care. I see this as primary prevention of the negative sequelae of inattention to self. Through my involvement with the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, I have also studied the advanced practice psychiatric nursing workforce in the US.
- NURS 60012 - Advanced Mental Health Assessment and Psychopathology
- NURS 60353 - Individual, Organization and Community Consultation
- Ph.D. in Nursing, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, 1999
- MSN Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, Kent State University, 1990
- MA Anthropology, Kent State University, 1986
- BSN, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 1976
- RN Diploma, Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI, 1970
- Drew, B. L., Motter, T., Ross, R., Goliat, L., Sharpnack, P. A., Govoni, A.L., Bozeman, M., & Rababah, J. (2016). Care for the caregiver: Evaluation of mind-body self-care for accelerated nursing students. Holistic Nursing Practice, 30, 148-154.
- Drew, B. L. (2014). The evolution of the role of the psychiatric mental health advanced practice registered nurse in the United States. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 28, 298-300.
- Hammonds, T., Rickert, K., Gilmore, S., Derflinger, B., Bennett, B., Goldstein, C., Gathright, E., Sterns, A., Drew, B. L., & Hughes, J. W. (2014). Adventures with antidepressants: A randomized controlled trial of medication reminding in college students.
- Rababah, J., Curtis, A., & Drew, B. L. (2014). Informatics: Interating geographic information systems into nursing research: Potentials and challenges. OJIN: On-Line Journal of Issues in Nursing, 19, 2. DOI: 10.3912/OJIN.Vol19No02InfoCol01
- Ross, R., Sawatphanit, W., Suwansujarid, T., Stidham, A. W., & Drew, B. L., Creswell, J. W. (2013). The effect of telephone support on depressive symptoms among HIV-positive pregnant women in Thailand: An embedded mixed-methods study. Journal of Associ
- Horton-Deutsch, S., Drew, B. L., & Beck-Coon, K. (2012). The mindful learner. In G. Sherwood & S. Horton-Deutsch (Eds.). Engaging Educators and Learners in Reflective Practice (pp. 79-99). Indianapolis, IN: Sigma Theta Tau International.
- Ross, R., Stidham, A. W., & Drew, B. L. (2012). HIV disclosure by perinatal women in Thailand. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 26, 232-239.
- Ghosh, D., Sterns, A., Drew, B. L., & Hamera, E. (2011). A geospatial analysis of psychiatric mental health advanced practice registered nurses in the United States. Psychiatric Services, 62, 1506-1509.
- Delaney, K. R., Hamera, E., & Drew, B. L. (2009). National survey of psychiatric mental health advanced practice nursing. The adequacy of educational preparation: Voices of our graduates. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 15, 383-3
- Drew, B. L. & Delaney, K. R. (2009). National survey of psychiatric mental health advanced practice nursing: Development, process and finding. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association,15, 101-110.
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association: Psychiatric Nurse of the Year 2011
- Kent State University, College of Nursing: Distinguished Alumna Award 2008
- Past President (2006-2007): American Psychiatric Nurses Association
- National Alliance on Mental Illness of Summit County: Educator Award 2006