Denice Sheehan, Ph.D., RN
Dr. Denice Sheehan is an Associate Professor of Nursing at Kent State University in Kent, Ohio. She directed the development of the first graduate nursing program in palliative care in the United States in 1998 at Ursuline College in Pepper Pike, Ohio.
Dr. Sheehan’s program of research focuses on adolescents with a parent in hospice. She has been funded by the National Institute of Nursing Research as a Principal Investigator to study the strategies adolescents use to cope with the changes in their lives during the final months of a parent’s illness.
- NURS70730 Qualitative Research Methods in Nursing
- NURS60101 Theoretical Basis for Nursing Practice
- NURS80101 Theoretical Basis for Nursing Practice
- Ph.D., University of Akron/Kent State University, 2007
- MSN, University of Akron, 1990
- BSN, University of South Florida, 1982
- Sheehan, D.K., Draucker, C.B., Christ, G.H., Mayo, M.M, Heim, K., & Parish, S. (2014). Telling adolescents that a parent is dying. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 17(5). doi:10.1089/jpm.2013.0344.
- Sheehan, D.K. & Draucker, C.B. (2011). Interactions between parents with advanced cancer and their adolescent children. Psycho-Oncology, 20, 1108-1115.doi: 10.1002/pon.1831
- Sheehan, D.K. (2010). Recruiting for end of life research:Lessons learned in family research. Nursing Clinics of North America, 45(3), 441-448.doi:10.1016/j.cnur.2010.03.009
- Draucker, C. B., Martsolf, D., Stephenson, P., Risko, J., Heckman, T., Sheehan, D., Perkins, S., Washington, K., Cook, C., & Ferguson, C. (2010). Aggressive events in adolescent dating violence. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 31(9), 599-610.
- Sheehan, D. K. & Malloy, P. (2010). Nursing education. In B. R. Ferrell & N. Coyle (Eds.), Textbook of palliative nursing (3rd ed., pp.1193-1209). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Schirm, V., Sheehan, D., & Zeller, R.A. (2008). Preferences for care near the end of life: Instrument validation for clinical practice. Critical Care Nursing Quarterly,31(1), 24-32.
- Forman, W.B., Kitzes, J.A., Anderson, R.P., & Sheehan, D.K. (Eds.). (2007). Hospice and palliative care: Concepts and practice, (2nd ed.). Wu-Nan Book. (Chinese translation)
- Glare P., Walsh D., & Sheehan D. (2006). The adverse effects of morphine: A prospective survey of common symptoms during repeated dosing for chronic cancer pain. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, 23(3), 229-235.
- Sheehan, D. K. & Ferrell, B. R. (2006). Nursing education. In B. R. Ferrell & N. Coyle (Eds.), Textbook of palliative nursing(2nd ed., pp.1077-1092). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Schirm, V. & Sheehan, D.K. (2005). Conversations about choices for end-of-life care. Journal of Hospice and Palliative Nursing, 7(2), 91-97.
- Sheehan, D. K. & Schirm V. (2003). End of life care of older adults: Debunking some common misconceptions about dying in old age. American Journal of Nursing, 103(11), 48-59.
- 2010 Research Scholar, Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association
- 2009 Leading the Way Award, Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association
- 2000-2003 Sigma Theta Tau International Distinguished Lecturer
- 2001 Distinguished Woman in Healthcare in End-of-Life/Hospice, Visiting Nurse Association Healthcare Partners of Ohio