Edward A. Herzog, MSN, RN, APRN-CNS
I have 40 years of experience in psychiatric nursing and nursing education in a variety of settings and roles, from mental health units in general hospitals to state psychiatric hospitals to psychiatric emergency units to community mental health centers, with roles including staff nurse, charge nurse, supervisor, clinical nurse specialist, and nursing liaison.
My areas of special interest and expertise include: crisis intervention, suicide assessment and intervention, violence, borderline personality disorder, psychosis, and severe mental illness. I have given numerous presentations on these topics at the state level and several at the national level. I am active in leadership roles in the Ohio Chapter of the American Psychiatric Nurses’ Association and am a member of the American Nurses Association and Ohio Nurses Association. I am a past officer of the Ohio Crisis Network and past co-coordinator of the Portage County Crisis Response Team. I was previously a certified law enforcement instructor on mental health topics as well as credentialed as a Mental Health Officer and prescreening supervisor in Portage County (1995-2004). I have published several textbook chapters on areas of expertise in psychiatric nursing texts by Varcarolis and Halter.
Courses: NURS40030 Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing - course coordinator and lecturer, plus two clinical sections.
Past courses taught include NURS20020, NURS20030, and NURS40045.
- MSN in Adult Psychiatric Nursing Clinical Nurse Specialist Track, Minor in Nursing Education, University of Cincinnati, 1983
- BSN, Kent State University, 1975
- Herzog, E (2014) Schizophrenia and Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorders, in Halter, M.J. (ed) Varcarolis’ foundations of psychiatric mental health nursing (7th ed.) pp 200-224. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier
- Herzog, E (2014) Serious Mental Illness, in Halter, M.J. (ed) Varcarolis’ foundations of psychiatric mental health nursing (7th ed.) pp 584-595. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier
- Herzog, E (2013). Adults in Varcarolis, E. M. Essentials of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing: A Communication Approach to Evidence-based Care, 2nd ed. St. Louis: Saunders/Elsevier.
- KSU Professional Development Excellence Pool Award, 2013