Apply to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program
Admission to the nursing major requires the completion of high school math, biology, and chemistry. In addition, admission to pre-nursing from high school is based on a sliding scale. Applicants should meet one of the following criteria:
- At least 2.7 overall high school grade point average (on a 4.0 scale) and a minimum 22 ACT composite (or a minimum 1020 SAT combined critical reading and mathematics score);
- Applicants with a 21 ACT composite score (or 980 SAT combined critical reading and mathematics score) need a 3.0 high school grade point average.
- Applicants with a 20 ACT composite score (or 940 SAT combined critical reading and mathematics score) need a 3.3 high school grade point average.
Transfer Students are required to request all official transcripts from each college or university attended other than Kent State University. Transfer students are required to apply to Kent State University and be accepted prior to acceptance into the Nursing program. Call the Office of Student Services at 330-672-7911 for additional information.
Apply online to Kent State University and indicate Nursing as your desired major. If your application is approved and admission minimums are met, you will be admitted to Kent State as a Nursing major. If the admission minimums are not met, you will be deferred to the Exploratory major.
Complete the following courses in your first year as a Nursing major:
- BSCI 21010 - Anatomy & Physiology I
- BSCI 21020 - Anatomy & Physiology II
- BSCI 20021 - Microbiology
- CHEM 10055 - Molecules of Life
- MATH 11009 - Modeling Algebra
Consideration will be given to applicants who have at least a 2.75 GPA, both as a cumulative average and in the first year sciences (courses above), based on 30 semester hours of college- level coursework (coursework may be in progress).
Please note: All attempts in science courses will be averaged together to determine science GPA.
During the semester in which you anticipate completing (or have completed) 30 credit hours, apply online to the Professional Nursing Sequence via the Traditional BSN application. The application is open during the following application cycles:
|Semester||Application Cycle||KSU Campuses Admitting|
|Fall||Feb. - May||Kent, Geauga, Salem, Stark, and Trumbull|
|Spring||Mid-Oct. - Dec.||Kent|
Transfer students: If you are not admitted to Kent State University at the time of application review (see Step 1), your application to the nursing sequence will not be reviewed.
Admission into the Professional Nursing Sequence is highly competitive and is not guaranteed.