Basic Computing Skills
- Working knowledge and ability to navigate and interact with Windows or Mac operating system graphic user interface (the desktop, system preferences, and folder/file directory) to change system settings, locate files, create new folder directories and launch/run and quit software applications.
- Ability to connect to the World Wide Web via the Internet using a hard-wired Ethernet connection or wireless connection.
- Working knowledge of desktop electronic mail (e-mail) client or web-based e-mail service such as Microsoft Outlook, Apple Mail, or Google Gmail, including the ability to send and receive file attachments.
- Ability to use a web browser to navigate and search the World Wide Web, including uploading and downloading files.
- Ability to install and uninstall software programs from a disk or downloaded image file from the World Wide Web.
- Working knowledge of word processing software such as Microsoft Word, including the ability to create PDF documents.
- Working knowledge of presentation software such as Microsoft PowerPoint.
- A basic familiarity with Kent State University's FlashLine intranet, especially the Faculty & Advisor Tools tab.
- A basic familiarity with a learning management system such as Moodle, Desire2Learn, or Blackboard (WebCT, Vista, or Learn).
Faculty new to KSU should review Information Services Technology Checklist - Faculty, Staff, GA page for information on KSU FlashLine, e-mail, and accessing KSU resources from off campus via Kent State VPN.For additional questions, please visit the KSU Help Desk at support.kent.edu.