Legal Services Available to Students
Another focus of Student Legal Services is to provide legal education to the students to help them better understand their legal rights and obligations as citizens. Staff attorneys achieve this goal by providing a number of lectures and presentations throughout the academic year. This aspect of the program is intended to make the students more aware of the type of help that is available to them on campus as well as to help students avoid legal problems before they arise.
In many instances, Student Legal Services can provide full service to the client. Services include everything from the initial interview to investigating and researching the case to handling any courtroom work necessary for resolving the matter.
Areas of the law in which Student Legal Services provides a full range of services include:
- Misdemeanor criminal cases: alcohol related offenses, theft offenses, criminal damaging, trespass, false ID’s, disorderly conduct, noise violations, sealing of criminal records.
- Traffic cases: driving under the influence of alcohol, driving under suspension, speeding, traffic violations such as speeding, accident related citations.
- Landlord tenant matters: disputes involving need for repairs, evictions, late security deposit refunds, unfair damage assessments, lease review.
- Consumer matters: credit problems, defective products, warranty issues.
- Family matters: simple wills, living wills, simple dissolutions, name changes.
- Miscellaneous matters: review of employment contracts, notary service.
Students can learn more about these and additional services on the Student Legal Service website.
Since opening its doors, Student Legal Services has assisted nearly 1,000 students and has recovered or saved approximately $75,000 in funds for students. To benefit from the program, students need only be currently enrolled on the Kent Campus and have paid the enrollment fee.
Students who need assistance can access Student Legal Services by calling the office to schedule an appointment at 330-672-9550. The Student Legal Services Office is in McDowell Hall on the Kent Campus. Staff attorneys are willing to speak with parents as long as their student gives consent because of the requirement of confidentiality between attorney and client.