Administrative policy regarding smoking at Kent state university
(A) Purpose. Kent state university is dedicated to providing a healthy, comfortable and productive work and living environment for its employees and students and adhering to the smoking prohibition requirements in section 3794 of the Ohio Revised Code.
(B) Smoking shall be prohibited specifically in the following places at Kent state university:
(1) All university buildings and vehicles.
(2) All outdoor events with seating, such as but not limited to, athletic events, concerts or other performances, award ceremonies and public speakers.
(3) All residence halls.
(4) Any exterior structure which is considered an enclosed area by law. This means an area with a roof or other overhead coverings of any kind and walls or side coverings. Such structures include but are not limited to a bus shelter, concession stand or tent.
(C) "Smoking permitted" areas:
(1) Outdoor areas at least 20 feet away from the entrance, overhang, windows, vents, loading dock or other openings to a building or other structure.
(2) Receptacles for disposing cigarette litter will be provided in selected areas where smoking is permitted.
(D) Smoking tobacco will not be sold or distributed free of charge on Kent state university campuses.
(E) Smoking cessation support will be made available periodically to members of the university community wishing to cease smoking.
(F) The success of creating and maintaining a smoke-free environment will depend upon the thoughtfulness, consideration and cooperation of smokers and nonsmokers. All employees and students share in the responsibility for adhering to and enforcing this policy. Problems should be brought to the attention of the appropriate administrator, building curator, dean of the regional campus, or in accordance with reporting guidelines provided by the Ohio Department of Health.
(G) "Smoking prohibited" signs will be posted in accordance with Chapter 3794 of the Ohio Revised Code.
Effective: June 1, 2007
Prior Effective Dates: 12/17/1993, 5/5/1994, 10/3/2005, 2/12/2007