Operational procedure regarding the use of skateboards, rollerblades, bicycles, and similar conveyances on campus
(A) Purpose. Those commuting within Kent state university, in order to provide a safer environment for inner-campus commuting, are required to abide by the following.
(B) Scope of authority. Facility curators and other university officials have authority to enforce this rule within campus buildings.
(1) No person shall operate a skateboard, rollerblades or a bicycle on a sidewalk or walkway that duly interferes with pedestrian traffic; caution is to be exercised at all times and the right of way yielded to pedestrians.
(2) No person shall operate a skateboard, rollerblade, bicycle or motorized vehicle on any artificial or specially prepared surface including but not limited to tennis courts, running tracks and basketball courts.
(D) Bicycle operations.
(1) Bicycle operators are expected to adhere to all posted warning, caution, or speed limit signs.
(2) In the absence of posted speed limits, bicycle operators are expected to act in a responsible manner and in respect of local conditions.
(3) Bicycles are to be secured only to the racks provided; bicycles may not be secured to trees, light poles, posts, handrails, or buildings.
(4) In residence halls, bicycles may be kept in authorized storage areas; and in student rooms with the approval of all occupants of the room.
(E) Student center plaza. Through traffic is permitted for bicycles and rollerblades in the student center plaza. Skateboards are not permitted on the plaza.
(F) Motorized vehicles.
(1) Only university authorized motorized vehicles, other than wheelchairs, may be operated on sidewalks.
(2) Mopeds or other gas powered conveyances may not be brought into residence halls.
Effective: June 1, 2007
Prior Effective Dates: 10/28/1994, 12/5/1994, 4/20/1995, 10/3/2005