Elena is a PhD student majoring in Comparative Politics and International Relations. Elena's specific fields of interest are ethnic conflict, terrorism, post-communist transformations and Russia. She received her BA in Linguistics from the Ural State Pedagogical University, Russia and before joining KSU taught Russian and English at Izmir University of Economics, Turkey. Elena's dissertation research is focused on constructions of ethno-nationalist conflicts in terms of terrorism.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- Certificate, Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR) summer program in quantitative methods of social research: Maximum Likelihood Estimation, Regression Analysis II, and Mathematics for Social Scientists II, University of Michigan (summer 2009)
- Certificate, American Institute on Political and Economic Systems summer program. Prague, Czech Republic, sponsored by the Fund for American Studies, Charles University (Prague), and Georgetown University (Washington, DC) (summer 2007)
- Certificate, Security, Civil Liberties, and Terrorism distance education course, Stanford University (fall semester 2003)
- Bachelor of Arts cum laude, Linguistics (Major English, Minor German), June 2002. Ural State Pedagogical University, Yekaterinburg, Russia (1997-2002)
Shifting Faces of Terror after 9/11: Framing the Terrorist Threat
- Kent State University Fellowship, 2009.
- Kent State University Graduate Student International Travel Grant, 2009.
- Janet Box-Steffensmeier Award to attend the ICPSR summer program, 2009.
- Open Society Institute, the Global Supplementary Grant, 2007/2008, 2008/2009, and 2009/2010 academic years.
- The Horowitz Foundation for Social Policy dissertation research grant, 2008.
- Three times recognized for outstanding academic achievement (4.0 cumulative GPA) by Phi Beta Delta, the Honor Society for International Scholars, Kent, Ohio, 2007, 2008, and 2009.
- For lasting contribution to alumni community and social service was nominated and selected for the Freedom Support Act/Future Leaders Exchange: 10 Years of Service and Leadership International Summit in Kyiv, Ukraine, 10/2003.
- Twice awarded the Sverdlovsk Region Governor's Scholarship for outstanding achievements in academic and research work, Yekaterinburg, Russia, 2001 and 2002.
- Prize-winner of VI Sverdlovsk regional research contest for university students in the field of the Humanities, Yekaterinburg, Russia, 3/2002.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities:
- Editor of the Eyes on the ICC, a peer-reviewed, scholarly journal devoted to the study of the International Criminal Court, published by the Council for American Students in International Negotiations, 2008/present.
- President of the Political Science Graduate Student Association, Department of Political Science, Kent State University, 2008/2009.
- Vice-President of the Political Science Graduate Student Association, Department of Political Science, Kent State University, 2007/2008.
- Pokalova, Elena. Forthcoming. “Framing Separatism as Terrorism: Lessons from Kosovo. Studies in Conflict and Terrorism 35(5).
- Pokalova, Elena. 2009. Book review “The Age of Apology: Facing Up to the Past, Mark Gibney, Rhoda E. Howard-Hassmann, Jean-Marc Coicaud, and Niklaus Steiner, eds. Peace Review: A Journal of Social Justice 21(1): 117-121.
- Pokalova, Elena. 2008. Book review of “The Politics of Constructing the International Criminal Court: NGOs, Discourse, and Agency, Michael J. Struett. Eyes on the ICC 5(1): 188-191.
- Pokalova, Elena. 2008. Book review of “Making Whole What Has Been Smashed: On Reparations Politics, John C. Torpey. The Canadian Journal of Peace and Conflict Studies, 39(1-2): 153-155.
- Pokalova, Elena. 2004. “Economics.In American Studies in EFL Teaching, ed. G.N. Babich and J.P. Floss. Yekaterinburg: Ural State Pedagogical University, 27-54.
- Pokalova, Elena. 2003. “Global Community of the 21st Century: Necessity of Dialogue among Civilizations. Democratization: Perspectives on Development of International Cooperation. Omsk, Russia.
- Pokalova, Elena. 2001. “English Lexical Coinages: Period 1990-2000." Current Issues of the Development of the Humanities. Yekaterinburg, Russia.
- Pokalova, Elena. 2001. “Education Reform in Russia: Implementation of the US Experience or the Russian Variant?" Globalization and the Possibilities of Establishing Russian-American Collaboration in Business, Education, and Culture. Yekaterinburg, Russia.
- “Post-9/11 Counterterrorism: Can the War on Terror Fight the New Threat?" presented at the ISA 51st Annual Convention, Theory versus Policy? Connecting Scholars and Practitioners, New Orleans, LA, 17-20 February, 2010.
- "Framing Separatism as Terrorism: Lessons from Kosovo," presented at the International and Interdisciplinary Conference on Human Rights, International Law and Collective Violence, Elkins, WV, 17-18 April, 2009.
- “Redressing War Rape in Bosnia: The Challenge for ICTY," presented at the 2008 Midwest Political Science Association National Conference, Chicago, IL, 3-6 April, 2008.
- “Terrorism in Russia: Framing Dynamics Behind Anti-Terrorist Policies, presented at the Northeastern Political Science Association and International Studies Association Northeast 39th Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, 15-17 November, 2007.
- “Democracy and Terrorism: Rethinking the Security vs. Liberty Debate - The Russian Scenario," presented at the 2nd Istanbul Conference on Democracy and Global Security, Istanbul, Turkey, 14-16 June, 2007.
- "Democracy and Terrorism: the Case of Russia, presented at the 22nd Annual Graduate Student Senate Colloquium, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio, 3 March, 2007.