Franklin Barr Lebo earned his Ph.D. in May of 2013 concentrating in transnational and comparative politics and policy and earning membership in the Golden Key International Honour Society. He is presently an adjunct professor at Baldwin Wallace University in the Department of Political Science teaching courses in environmental politics, sustainability, and leadership studies. Frank previously earned his J.D. from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law in 2003 with an International Law Concentration winning the Witkin and CALI Awards in Chinese Trade and Investment and the CALI Award in the American West: Law, Culture, and the Environment. He is presently a licensed attorney in Ohio. He earned his B.A. from Brandeis University as a Presidential Scholar in 2000 double majoring in Politics and East Asian Studies and graduating summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, and Pi Sigma Alpha (the National Political Science Honor Society) receiving highest honors for a senior honors thesis on the Japanese bureaucratic system. His Ph.D. dissertation is entitled "Between Bureaucracy and Democracy: Regulating Administrative Discretion in Japan."
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- Lebo, Franklin Barr. 2013. "The Lake Erie Energy Development Corporation (LEEDCo)." In Northeast Ohio Sustainability Case Studies, Jill Stevens Fleisher (ed.). Berea, OH: Baldwin-Wallace University. Supported by a generous grant from the McGregor Fund, pp.1-33. https://www.bw.edu/academics/sustainability/neo-case-studies/cases
- Hook, Steven W. and Lebo, Franklin Barr. (2011). "Sino-American Trade Relations: Privatizing Foreign Policy," in Ralph G. Carter (Ed.). Contemporary Cases in U.S. Foreign Policy: From Terrorism to Trade, 4th Edition. Washington, D.C.: Congressional Quarterly Press, pp.354-385. (Fifth edition forthcoming 2013.) http://www.cqpress.com/product/Carter4e.html
- Hook, Steven W. and Lebo, Franklin Barr. (2010). "Develop/Poverty Issues and Foreign Policy Analysis," in Robert A. Denemark (Ed.). The International Studies Encyclopedia. Oxford, England. Blackwell Publishing, Ltd., pp.949-969. http://www.blackwellreference.com/public/tocnode?id=g9781444336597_chunk_g97814443365976_ss1-10
- Lebo, Franklin B. (May, 2006). "Honest Patriots: Loving a Country Enough to Remember its Misdeeds" (review). Human Rights Quarterly - Volume 28, Number 2, The Johns Hopkins University Press: pp. 551-553. http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/hrq/summary/v028/28.2lebo.html
· POL40830: U.S. Foreign Policy (KSU, SP '10)
· POL30530: Asian Politics (KSU, FALL '10)
· POL10500: World Politics (KSU, FALL '09)
· POL10004: Comparative Politics (Co-Instr.) (KSU, FALL '09)
· POL363: Politics of Energy [cross-listed: Sustainability] (B-W, SP'13)
· POL363I: Politics of Climate Change [cross-listed: Sustainability] (B-W, FALL '11)
· POL205: Environmental Politics [cross-listed: Sustainability] (B-W, SP '09; SP '10; ISSP '10; FALL'10; SU '10; FALL'10; SP '11; SU'11; FALL'11; SP'12; FALL'12; SP'13; FALL'13 - forthcoming)
· POL102: Humans & the Earth: Can We Coexist? [cross-listed: Sustainability] (B-W, SP'12; FALL'12; FALL'13 - forthcoming)
· LDR202: Contemporary Leadership Problems (B-W, SU'12; FA'12; SP'13)
· LDR201: Introduction to Leadership Studies (B-W, FA'12)
· LAS200: Enduring Questions for an Intercultural World (B-W, FALL'11; SP'12; SP'13; FA'2013 - forthcoming)
Honors, Grants, & Awards:
* U.S. Young Scholars Delegation to Taiwan. 7.9.2012-7.17.2012. Sponsored by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Taiwan.
* McGregor Fund. Baldwin-Wallace Faculty Development Grant for Sustainability: $3,000 Awarded on 3.1.2012 to develop POL363I: Politics of Energy.
* McGregor Fund. Baldwin-Wallace Faculty Development Grant for Sustainability: $3000 Awarded on 1.28.2011 to develop POL102: Humans and the Earth.
* McGregor Fund. Baldwin-Wallace Faculty Development Grant for Sustainability: $3,000 Awarded on 1.26.2010 to develop POL363I: Politics of Climate Change.
* Kent State University: $1,000 GSS Research Grant awarded in 2010-2011 academic year for project entitled, “Between Bureaucracy and Democracy: Regulating Administrative Discretion in Japan."
* President's Volunteer Service Awards (Gold Level, 2009 and 2010). Awarded by President Barack Obama for service to Minds Matter of Cleveland. http://www.mindsmattercleveland.org/news/. Each award required over 500 hours of community service over a 12-month period. http://www.presidentialserviceawards.gov/
Speaking & Professional Engagements
* "Great Lakes Energy Development Task Force Meeting." Cuyahoga County Department of Development. (November 8, 2012). Hosted by Franklin Lebo at Baldwin Wallace University, Telfer Auditorium. http://www.gcbl.org/calendar/2012/11/great-lakes-energy-development-task-force-meeting2
* "Solyndra Case Study Competition." Second Annual Technology and Innovation Conference. Judge. (January 14, 2012). Hosted by Beta Gamma Sigma and the Idea Center at Playhouse Square.
* "Case Study Research Techniques: Obtaining Access to Japan's National Personnel Authority and the Mike Mansfield Fellowship Program." Paper Presentation. (4.1.2011). 26th Annual Graduate Research Symposium, KSU.
* "China-Google Case Study Competition." First Annual Technology and Innovation Conference. Judge. (1.17.2011). Hosted by Beta Gamma Sigma and the Idea Center at Playhouse Square.
* “U.S. Foreign Policy & Energy Security: A Project for the People’s Republic of China.” Invited Participant. (8.6.2010.) Cleveland Council on World Affairs & U.S. Department of State.
* “Hot Topics in U.S. Foreign Policy.” Speaker (1.14.10). Washington Program in National Issues (WPNI).
* "Israeli-Palestinian Conflict Forum." Moderator (11.23.09). Students for Justice in Palestine and the Kent Students for Israel.
* "The World's Hot Spots: Great Power Rivalries, Russia and China (I/II)" (9.09). Laurel Lake in Hudson, OH.
* "Emerald Planet: Must the U.S. Make the World Green?" "Emerald City: Can the U.S. Build an Emerald City?" Speaker. Keys to a Sharp Mind lecture series. (8.09). Laurel Lake in Hudson, OH. http://laurellake.com/News%20Keys%202009%20Classes%20July%20August.htm
* WAKR 1590 AM. (4.08). "Applying the Geneva Conventions to the Iraq War." Exclusive interview with Ray Horner.