Susan M. Kunkle, Ph.D. earned a Doctor of Philosophy degree in political science (2011), a Masters of Arts degree in corrections, and a Bachelors of Arts degree in sociology from Kent State University.
I have spent over four decades in the justice system working in several juvenile court systems and the federal bureau of prisons. I have worked as a Probation Officer, Chief Probation Officer, Coordinator of Court Services, Correctional Officer, and Deputy Administrator in a number of justice agencies. Additionally I have supervised and trained personnel, developed programs, evaluated programs, and administered programs for delinquent and unruly youthful offenders. I currently serve as chairperson for the Multi County Juvenile Attention System, a regional system of detention and rehabilitation programs that provides services for five Ohio juvenile courts. I have served in that system for approximately 25 years as a trustee and within those 25 years I have chaired the board for 18. I also serve on the Board of Directors for the Sisters of Charity Foundation (Canton, OH) and I am President of Project KARE, a 501-C-3 which raises funds for children in foster care.
My research interests include sentencing patterns in the juvenile justice system, juvenile delinquency, detention and rehabilitation systems, childhood victimization, and juvenile courts.
- 1975. Elaine Mae Shock Award for Outstanding Graduate Student: Sociology Department-Kent State University
- 2000: Recipient of the Community Crime Prevention Award (Stark County Prosecutor's Office)
- 2004: Recipient of the Dawn Marie Hendershot Award for exemplary service on behalf of child victims (Stark County Prosecutor's Office and the Stark County Victims' Rights Coalition).
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities:
- Board of Trustees (Chairperson): Multi County Juvenile Attention System (A six county regional system of detention and rehabilitation services which is located in north central Ohio.)
- Stark County Citizen's Council for Non-Violence
- Stark County Community Planning Committee on behalf of the Stark County Department of Job and Family Services
- Stark County Traumatize Child Task Force
- Juvenile Delinquency
- Law and Society
- Women and Crime
- Youth and the Justice System
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- American Society of Criminology, November 14-17, 2007, Atlanta, GA: Butcher and Kunkle: Long Term Effects of Sexual Victimization: Predicting Adult Criminality Among Victimized Children - Panel Presentation
- Midwest Political Science Association, April 20-23, 2006, Chicago, Illinois: Incarceration of Non-Violent Offenders in Ohio, 2004 - A Cost-Benefit Analysis - Poster Presentation.
- Childhood Victimization
- Detention and Rehabilitation Systems
- Juvenile Courts
- Juvenile Deliquency