John Staley, Ph.D MSEH
PhD, Health Policy and Administration, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Gillings School of Global Public Health, Minor: Political Science, 2008; MS, Environmental Health, East Carolina University, 1997.
Dr. Staley joined the faculty of Kent State University’s College of Public Health in October 2009, and has over 17 years of experience as a preparedness and workplace health and safety practitioner and consultant. He earned his PhD in 2008 from the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health, with a focus on health services and disaster preparedness research, and he continues preparedness research with the first responder community, including law enforcement, fire, and EMS professionals, as well the impact of preparedness on vulnerable populations such as the elderly, children, and college students. Dr. Staley has received $50,000 in research funding. He has published papers and presented his research at national conferences on the preparedness issues involving the elderly, firefighter wellness, and operational readiness. In 2010, he was awarded a Kent State University Teaching Scholars for Early Career Faculty Award.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
1. Staley JA, Alemagno S, Shaffer-King P. Senior Adult Preparedness: What does it really mean? Journal of Emergency Management. Nov/Dec 2011; 9(6): 47-55.
2. Staley JA, Weiner B, Linnan L. Firefighter Fitness, Coronary Heart Disease, and Sudden Cardiac Death Risk. American Journal of Health Behavior. 2011;35(5):603-617.
3. Staley JA. "Get Firefighters Moving": Marketing a Physical Fitness Intervention to Reduce Sudden Cardiac Death Risk in Full-Time Firefighters. 2009. Social Marketing Quarterly. 1539-4093, Volume 15, Issue 3, 2009, Pages 85 – 99.
4. Staley JA, Zelman WZ, Porto JE, Paul JE, Havala Hobbs S. Preparedness Roles for Health Policy and Management Departments. Fall 2009. Journal of Health Administration Education.Pages 309-322.
5. Lewko J, Runyan CR, Staley JA, Lynne-Tremblay C, Boychuck S. Safety of Young Workers in Ontario. Canadian Journal of Public Health. 2011.
6. Staley JA, "Decoding Active Learning: What is this thing anyway?". Decoding the Disciplines Teaching Conference. Kent State University. Ohio, 2011.
7. Staley JA, Alemagno S, Shaffer-King P "Social Isolation and Disaster Preparedness in Senior Adults." 2010 Annual Conference of the American Public Health Association. Denver, Colorado
- Disaster Mitigation, Preparedness, Response, and Recovery
- Community-based Interventions
- Occupational Injury and Stress
- Public Health Dimensions of Aging