Environmental Health Specialist
Environmental Health may be the Career for You
- Do you have a keen interest in the environment?
- Are you passionate about cleaning up our world’s air, food and water sources?
If you answered yes to these questions, a career as an environmental health specialist may be right for you. These professionals are responsible for improving our quality of life by reducing the amount of pollution that gets into our air, food and water.
Public health professionals are responsible for improving the health and well-being of communities and individuals. Environmental health specialists do this through their dedication to keeping our environment as clean and healthy as possible.
Environmental Health Specialists are responsible for:
- Performing lab and field tests to monitor resources
- Determining contaminants and sources of pollution
- Designing and monitoring waste disposal sites
- Preserving water supplies
- Reclaiming contaminated land and water
- Studying the impact of hazardous materials on the environment
- Advising government regulators
Helpful skills for this public health career include:
- Solid understanding of the sciences
- Strong math skills
- Ability to interpret statistical concepts and create charts and graphs to explain them
- Passion for improving the environment
The air we breath, the food we eat and the water we drink are made cleaner because of the work done by environmental health specialists.
At Kent State’s College of Public Health, we can help you prepare for a position in this field as well as many other public health careers. Visit our public health careers page to learn more about the job outlook and salary expectations for this dynamic industry.