Health Services Administration
The Bachelor of Science in Public Health with a Health Services Administration concentration is designed to prepare students for entry-level positions in health care management, as well as establish a foundation for graduate work in health policy and management.
Students pursuing the Health Services Administration concentration have the opportunity to analyze and evaluate:
- National and local public health infrastructure
- The effectiveness and efficiency of health care delivery
- Legal and ethical issues of health care administration
Students who graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Public Health with a Health Services Administration concentration can enter the workforce as:
- Finance managers
- Compliance officers
- Patient navigators
- Insurance specialists
- Health care managers
Most health services administrators work in an office environment and are in charge of planning, coordinating, supervising and managing different kinds of healthcare facilities and staff. They are responsible for organizing the financing and delivery of care within these facilities.
Their responsibilities vary depending on the size and operations of the health facility they oversee, but all the positions require solid leadership and managerial skills, as well as organization, strong communication skills and attention to detail.
Some common duties of workers in health services administration positions include:
- Assessing the need for services, equipment and personnel
- Making recommendation for expansion/removal of services
- Establishing new or auxiliary facilities
- Overseeing compliance with government agencies and regulations
- Organizing the activities of clinical departments within a health facility
- Directing the operations of non-health areas, including personnel, finance and public relations
If you're interested in pursuing career opportunities in health services administration, Kent State University can help you prepare. Learn more about this industry and the many other public health careers available today.