- Adventure Center
- Crooked River Adventures
- Fitness and Wellness
- Ice Arena
- Youth Programs
- Black Squirrel 5k Race
- Bowman Cup 5k Race
- Haunted Wreck
- Member Services
- Online Registration
Rules and Regulations:
NOTE: Individual memberships to the SRWC are not available to anyone under 18 years of age.
- Children 12 years and under must be directly supervised (same room) by an adult member at all times in the SRWC. These children may have general use of the SRWC with the exception of the fitness floor, weight room, circuit and equipment located on the track level.
- Youth 13 - 15 years of age must be accompanied by an adult member into the SRWC. The parent must remain in the building during the child’s use; however, direct supervision is not required. Children in this age group have general access to the building, with the exception of the weight room and the climbing wall.
- Children (ages 13 - 17) who wish to use the selectorized equipment and cardiovascular machines must complete Teen User Orientation.
- Youth 16 - 17 who are members of the SRWC can gain the privilege of entering the facility without parental supervision. These individuals must complete Teen User Orientation. A parent or guardian must also be a member of the SRWC.
- Children over the age of 4 are not permitted in the locker room of the opposite sex. The family changing rooms are available for your convenience.
Youth Program Eligibility
- Youth programs require a parent/guardian signature when signing up.
- Additional forms may be required prior to the start of any program.
- Children under 13 may participate only in youth programs.
- Children 13 - 16 may participate in most programs offered, but a parent must be present during the program activity. Exceptions to this include PEAK summer camps and supervised group rentals, which do not require parents to remain in the building.
- Participants must be at least 16 years old to participate in Group X classes, 18 years old to participate in community leagues.
- Other age restrictions may apply. Please ask when registering.
Climbing Wall Age Policy
There are no age requirements to climb at the wall, however, climbers must be at least 13 years of age to belay. All approved climbers ages 13 - 17 must be accompanied by an approved adult climber at all times, unless an event has been scheduled through Recreational Services.
Natatorium Age Policy
- Children newborn - 8 years old, and any age child wearing a flotation device, must be accompanied in the water by an adult.
- Children 9 to 12 years old must have an adult with them in the natatorium.
- Children 13 years old and over are permitted in the natatorium without direct parental supervision.
- Children under 16 are not permitted in the spa.
- Before allowing a child in the vortex or deep water, the lifeguard may require a child to demonstrate his/her deep water swimming ability.
Assumption of Risk
Individuals assume a risk of injury or even death while voluntarily electing to participate in physical activity. All participants are strongly encouraged to have a health evaluation by their physician. All non-student members must sign the “Release and Waiver of Liability and Indemnity Agreement.”
Participants play at their own risk. Neither Recreational Services staff, Kent State University or the agents thereof assume responsibility for injury or damage to personal property resulting from participation in recreational activity or an intramural contest.
Bikes, Pets, Skates and Sleds
Bicycles, skateboards, roller skates, in-line skates, scooters and sleds are not permitted inside the SRWC. Only working companion animals are permitted in the building.
- The circuit rotates clockwise.
- Follow the voice prompt to begin and end each station.
- Circuit trainers have priority at all times. Non-circuit training is permitted as long as it does not interfere with circuit trainers.
- Cardio equipment is available to all patrons on a first come, first serve basis.
NEW Dress Code
Shirt and shoes are required except in the locker rooms and swimming pool areas. Clean swim attire must be worn in the pools and whirlpools. Cutoff shorts, T-shirts, thong bikinis, see-through suits and unapproved footwear are prohibited in the natatorium. Patrons are asked to wear clean athletic shoes that have scuff-resistant, non-marking soles in all activity areas of the facility. Closed toe shoes (no sandals) are required on the fitness floor, weight floor, circuit and track equipment. Patrons must remove shoes before crossing the pool deck when going to and from the outdoor patio.
Shirts are required to be short-sleeved and non-mesh while on the upper Fitness Floor, lower Fitness Floor, Weight Floor and when using machines in other locations (Track & Circuit). Examples of appropriate and prohibited shirts.
The SRWC closes annually on the Saturday following Kent State University’s spring finals week to perform general and preventative maintenance. The facility remains closed from nine to 14 days. Please see a posted schedule for specific dates.
- Designated (popular) pieces of cardio equipment have a 30-minute usage limit per person. To ensure access to equipment, patrons must sign-up prior to usage. Patrons who sign up for equipment will have priority use of desired equipment.
- Patrons who wish to circuit train have a 15-minute limit per piece of equipment.
- Patrons 13 - 17 may use the fitness floor after completing Teen User Orientation.
- Please follow all safety instructions posted on equipment. Fitness floor equipment must remain in the fitness area.
- Patrons must use extreme caution when lifting weights to avoid any potential injury to themselves or others.
- Top-loading additional weights onto weight stack machines is unsafe and prohibited.
- Please wipe off machines before and after use.
Food, Beverage, Gum and Tobacco
- Food and beverages may be consumed in the lobby and Summit Street Café areas only.
- Water in a container with a lid is permitted throughout the facility.
- Possession and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited. Consumption of alcohol, intoxication, or the appearance/smell of intoxication will be cause for immediate removal.
- Tobacco use is prohibited in the facility.
- Gum is prohibited in the facility beyond the welcome desk.
Gender Reassignment Policy
Recreational Services requires our transgender members to use the restroom or locker room that corresponds to the gender classification on their state issued ID. Gender neutral facilities (family changing rooms) are available for use at all times.
Management reserves the right to suspend a member’s privileges if a member refuses to follow the rules of the facility and basic socially-appropriate behavior. Management reserves the right to penalize unauthorized use of a FLASHcard or Membership ID. Member privileges are not transferable.
This shall include, but not be limited to; verbal abuse of a Recreational Services employee, verbal altercation with another guest, disruption of operation of the SRWC, or use of obscene, vulgar or offensive language. Once these incidents have been documented, management will contact the participant to arrange a meeting. Facility access rights will be removed until the meeting is completed. The penalty will vary based on the severity, intent and scope of the incident.
This shall include, but will not be limited to; physical acts of intimidation toward any Recreational Services employee or member, physical acts of intimidation toward any guest, actions deemed unsafe to guests in the facility and actions deemed detrimental to the long term health of the SRWC and/or the equipment within. These cases will be immediately remanded to the Kent State University Police or the City of Kent police. The Office of Student Conduct may also be involved.
Upon entering the SRWC, all members must present FLASHcard/Membership ID at the welcome desk. The welcome desk closes 15 minutes prior to building closing. No patrons will be permitted to enter after that time.
Forgotten FLASHcard/Membership ID
All members and nonmembers must present valid photo identification in order to access the facility. Active members who have forgotten their FLASHcard/Membership ID are permitted access to the facility twice per semester. Members may fill out a forgotten identification form, or can use another form of photo identification (driver’s license, passport, etc.) at the Welcome Desk or Pro Shop. Members who do not have their FLASHcard/Membership ID and have been previously allowed these two exceptions during the semester will be denied access to the facility.
Lost FLASHcard/Membership ID
Any community member who has lost their Membership ID must pay a $10 replacement fee. Any student, faculty or staff member who has lost his or her campus ID must go to the FLASHcard office for a replacement.
Unauthorized Entry Attempt
Any individual who is found in the building without proof of appropriate access or who is attempting to gain illegal access will be removed from the facility. If an individual is caught, conduct court and/or legal action may be pursued.
Presentation of False ID
If the SRWC staff has determined that an individual is using a false ID, the staff member will confiscate the ID and inform the individual that he/she needs to schedule a meeting with management. The individual on the ID card will have facility access rights removed until the meeting. Management has the right to adjust punishment standards based on the severity and intent of the situation.
- All pools will be cleared of members and guests during severe weather.
- For your safety, the leisure pool has 10-minute hourly safety breaks.
- Showers must be taken before entering any of the pools.
- Appropriate swimming (swimsuit) attire must be worn.
- No T-shirts, gym shorts, sports bras, thongs etc.
- Chewing gum, food, and glass containers are not permitted in or around pools.
- Street shoes are not permitted on the pool deck.
- When requested, lap swimmers shall circle swim in a counter clockwise direction.
- Kickboards, pull buoys, dumbbells, wet belts, etc. are used for exercise only. Wet belts are not to be used as flotation devices for children.
- Diving, running on the decks and horseplay in or around the pools is not allowed.
- At the discretion of the lifeguard, diving rings, noodles and balls may be used in the leisure pool but not in the vortex.
- Large floating devices are not permitted.
- Swim diapers or plastic pants are required for children not toilet trained.
- Please do not talk to the lifeguard while he/she is actively scanning the pool.
- People using the vortex must be able to swim in deep water.
- People using the vortex for exercise have priority.
- Vortex capacity is six people.
- Public display of affection is not permitted.
Recreational Services accepts cash, checks, FLASHCash, Discover, MasterCard and Visa. Registration and membership purchases can be done in person with any of the above payment methods.
Most programs allow registration by phone with a credit card to reserve your place. Please note that your reservation is not confirmed (and your place is not reserved) until we have received your payment.
Annual memberships can be paid via the above listed options as well as through monthly credit card billing or payroll deduction for permanent faculty/staff who are paid over 12 months.
- No children under the age of sixteen may use the sauna.
- Due to high temperatures, limit your use to a maximum of ten minutes.
- Please shower before entering.
- No food or drink is allowed inside.
- Cool down at least five minutes after exercise before using sauna.
Signs, Announcements, Photography and Video
Any request to post signs, take photographs or record videos in the SRWC must be directed to the Marketing Coordinator and is subject to approval based upon content and circumstances.
- Persons at least 16 years old may use the spa.
- For your safety, please limit your use of the spa to fifteen minutes.
- Spa capacity is sixteen people.
- Please follow the additional precautions posted on the wall by the spa controls.
Courts may be used for volleyball, basketball and badminton. Inappropriate/vulgar language and behavior is not permitted. Patrons may be asked to leave the facility if their behavior is deemed threatening or inappropriate. Non-marking court shoes are required at all times while on hardwood floors.
Participants must be present to call next and claim next game. Basketball games will be played as follows:
- Losing team must exit the court
- Patrons who have called next must present a team and play the winning team
- Patrons waiting for next game have priority over players from losing team
- If the winning team gives up the court, patrons waiting for next game will have court priority
- Patrons may only claim “next” on one court
The track is 1/7 of a mile on the inner two lanes, and 1/6 of a mile on the outer two lanes. The inside two lanes are designated for walkers. The outside two lanes are designated for joggers. Please adhere to these walking/jogging lane assignments for the safety and enjoyment of all.
Stretching areas are located adjacent to each side of the track. Users should not use walls, railings, door handles or heating units as stretching aids. Participants must use a cuspidor if they need to clean their mouth. Please respect our building and do not spit on the floors, walls or in the water fountains.
The track is intended for recreational purposes only. Competitive training is not permitted. The track direction for the day will be posted at the entrance to the track. Cardio equipment located on the track is available on a first come, first serve basis.
The wall is open to anyone, but each climber, regardless of ability, must take the Safety and Skills Test every four months to become an approved climber. Climbers between the ages of 13 and 17 years old may become approved climbers provided they have a parent or legal guardian attend the Safety and Skills Test and sign off on all waivers. Climbers 12 years of age and under may not belay.
All participants must sign an “Indoor Climbing Wall Acknowledgement of Risk and Release” agreement. Participants under the age of 18 must have the form signed by their parent or legal guardian. A parent/guardain must be present unless the event has been scheduled through Recreational Services.
- Patrons must be 18 or over to be in the weight room.
- Patrons are required to re-rack all weights and return equipment to its proper location/starting position after use.
- Due to facility space limitations and safety concerns, the following free weight lifts are not permitted: snatch, jerk and power clean lifts.
- Collars and pins are required on all free bar lifts.
- Slamming or dropping of weights is prohibited.
- Improper use of equipment is not permitted. This includes, but is not limited to: standing on equipment, standing on weights, stacking weights under equipment, top-loading equipment and stepping on weights.
- Equipment should remain in the weight room. Only approved equipment from SRWC staff may be moved.
- Weights are not to be leaned against walls, columns, other equipment or mirrors.
- Immediately report any weight room related injury or facility/equipment irregularity to staff on duty.
- The use of chalk is prohibited.
- Follow appropriate weight room safety and etiquette practices, demonstrating courtesy toward others in the room at all times.
- Please wipe off benches and pads.
- Please follow all safety instructions posted on equipment.
- Personal trainers are available through Recreational Services. Outside personal training is prohibited.
- Bringing in outside equipment is prohibited.
- The use of weight bands or stretch bands in the weight room is prohibited.
- All decorations should be taped on the windows or walls, not from the ceiling.
- Confetti, glitter, etc. can cause damage to the pool systems and are not permitted.
- Rental groups are responsible for any damage or vandalism to the Wet Classroom.
- At the conclusion of the party, groups are expected to pick up and discard all trash and decorations.