Wellness Words of Wisdom
Sunny skies and cool breezes lie ahead of us during the month of June. Coincidentally, the first Saturday in June is National Trails Day. What better way to celebrate the beautiful weather than to get active! Fortunately for us, northeast Ohio is home to some magnificent paths. Whether you hike the luscious forest in Cuyahoga Valley National Park or ride along the smooth towpath on the local Portage Hike and Bike trail, trailing will yield numerous fitness and wellness benefits.
- Hiking, biking, running, or roller blading serve as fantastic choices for aerobic exercise that will help with the prevention and treatment of heart disease, diabetes, obesity, osteoporosis, and several other chronic diseases.
- Exercising can improve immune function and prevent onset of many illnesses.
- These activities can boost your mood and combat symptoms associated with stress, anxiety, and depression.
- Bringing friends or family on these excursions can serve to be an excellent bonding experience.
Already packing your bag? Don’t wander off just yet! Although generally harmless, take caution before beginning these activities. Some safety tips include:
- Safety in numbers – bring friends!
- Bring a phone in case of emergencies
- Familiarize yourself with the route you plan to take
- Plan ahead for weather and dress accordingly
- Bring water and snacks for longer trips
- Observe and obey park/trail hours of operation, these are set up for your personal safety
- Generally stick to the right side of the path unless passing slower traffic
- Always check with your physician to ensure that you are cleared for new physical activities
Looking for something with a little more grit? Celebrate International Mud Day with our wellness workshop (A Beginner’s Guide to Mud Runs) on Wednesday, June 6 at 5:30 p.m. Learn about exercise related nutrition, different races available, common misconceptions about mud runs, how to train, and what to expect on race day. With races going all the way up until November, there is plenty of time to get in tip-top shape! Don’t worry; there will be no mud involved in this presentation! For questions contact Luc LaBonte at email@example.com or call the fitness suite at 330-672- 0485.
Now that you are educated on the benefits and prepared for the potential hazards, nothing can stop you from getting the most out of your summer outdoor adventures!