Frequently Asked Questions
Registration & Enrollment
- I am an incoming freshman. When do I register?
- When do I register?
- Where can I find pass/fail option directions and information?
- Where can I find course audit directions and information?
- How do I schedule for classes - register, add or drop?
- How do I withdraw from any or all of my course?
- How do I apply for Ohio residency for tuition purposes?
- Where do I find the final exams schedule?
- What if I missed the deadline to process my registration or schedule adjustment?
- What is a flexibly scheduled course section?
- Course Availability
- Course Numbering System
Student Information and Record
- How do I obtain a copy of my academic transcript?
- What is the policy addressing privacy of my student record?
- How do I change my program (major/concentration, certificate or minor)?
- I submitted my request for a change of program. What happens next?
- How will I be notified when the change of program has been approved/denied?
- Where do I verify my catalog year?
- How do I access the online catalog?
- How do I view my academic record?
- How do I view and update my personal information?
- How and when I receive my grades?
- How do I keep my personal information confidential?
Students at all eight campuses of Kent State University will process their registrations and schedule adjustments using FlashFAST during published registration periods. Access the appropriate Registrar Important Dates and Events by Term for registration deadlines.
- For Fall or Spring classes, students are assigned a registration window called "My Time to Register" that determines when they may register for their classes (there is no entry schedule for Summer registration).
- Registration priority is determined by student level (graduate or undergraduate). Students should use their current level. For undergraduate students, priority is also determined by the total number of earned credit hours and registered credit hours that are in progress. (Earned Credit Hours: Includes all earned Kent State University coursework and all accepted external coursework.)
- To determine your time to register or to see if you have an advising requirement that prevents registration, access your Registration Status page under your Student Tools and Courses tab in FlashLine. Your registration status is subject to change, so please check your Registration Status page often.
- After the "My Time to Register" window expires, entry is open to all eligible students at the same time. Access My Time to Register Dates and Entry Schedules by Term to determine your registration window. Note: Registration dates and times are subject to change. Check back to verify your start date and time.
- Due to high volume registration transactions during peak times, you may experience slow system response.
Students with the following conditions may register after they have followed the instructions below:
- Students, who have not enrolled at Kent State in any of the three previous terms, including Summer, should contact the registration office at the campus where they plan to enroll regarding the re-enrollment process. (Kent Campus students should contact the University Registrar's Office.)
- Any student admitted for one term only should contact their admitting office for readmission information.
- Students who have been placed on registration hold will not be permitted to register for classes until the conditions of the hold are met. To have a hold released, contact the department that placed the hold. Log into FlashLine and click on the Student Tools and Courses tab. Click the Holds link in the Academic Profile channel to view holds.
Use the Petition for Exception to Registration Form located on the Registrar Forms Page when requesting registration/schedule adjustment transactions to your class schedule after published University deadlines for the class(es), due to extenuating circumstances. Deadlines may be determined by accessing the Detailed Class Search from the Schedule of Classes. After locating the course, click on the "Registration Deadlines" link to determine course specific dates. Information on registration deadlines and tuition credit percentages may be obtained by clicking the CRN link(s) on your student printable schedule in FlashLine.
Some courses are offered as flexibly scheduled sections, that is, the section does not meet for the full semester. Eligibility for processing registration transactions for these courses (adding, dropping or withdrawing) is determined by the beginning and/or ending dates of the section. Deadlines may be determined by accessing the Detailed Class Search from the Schedule of Classes. After locating the course, click on the "Registration Deadlines" link to determine course specific dates. Students may also access deadlines for processing registration transactions and tuition credit percentages on their Add or Drop Classes page or their Student Printable Schedule in FlashLine.
The University reserves the right to change the time of a course if it is deemed necessary, and it reserves the right to drop (cancel) any course from the Schedule of Classes if there is insufficient student demand or if resources are unavailable to offer the course. The University also reserves the right to change academic requirements without notice; however, such a change in requirements should not be to the substantial disadvantage of students during their enrollment.
The numbering system for courses of study at Kent State University is as follows:
|50000s and above||Graduate Level|
Where can I find the registration processing deadlines for a course?
Eligibility for processing registration transactions (adding, dropping, or withdrawing) is determined by the beginning and/or ending dates of a course section. Deadlines may be determined by accessing the Detailed Class Search from the Schedule of Classes. After locating the course, click on the "Registration Deadlines" link to determine course specific dates. Information on registration deadlines and tuition credit percentages may also be obtained by clicking the CRN link(s) on your student printable schedule in FlashLine.
How can I view current holds on my account?
Log into FlashLine and click on the Student Tools and Courses tab. Click the Holds link in the Academic Profile channel to view holds.
Why am I getting the prerequisite and/or required test score error message?
The section you are requesting requires a prerequisite course or a certain score on a test, such as the ACT or SAT or COMPASS test. If you do not meet that requirement, you will receive this error message and will need to contact the department/school or campus that offers the course to discuss your eligibility for this course.
Note: Prior to registering for courses, it is important to verify course prerequisites, corequisites or other course restrictions. Check for prerequisites, corequisites, or other course restrictions carefully when planning your schedule and before you attempt to register by accessing the Class Schedule Search from the Student Records Menu. Select your subject area, then click on the course title on the Class Schedule Listing page to display detailed class information. This information may also be obtained from the Schedule of Classes Detailed Search. Contact the appropriate department/school/regional campus regarding permits or overrides prior to trying to register. View any permits or overrides received on your Registration Status page in FlashFAST. You must register for the course(s) after receiving the permit/override.
What does it mean when is says corequisite?
If a course description indicates that a course has a corequisite, it means that you must take all of the listed courses at the same time. Be sure that you enter all of these courses (CRNs) on either your worksheet or on the Add or Drop page before you click the Submit Changes button.
The Student Records Policy (5-08.101 & 5-08.102) in the University's General Administration Policy Register.
Log into FlashLine, then click on the Student Tools and Courses tab. The Request for Undergraduate Change of Program form can be found in the GPS channel.
Although your request has been submitted, it must be approved by the academic advising office and processed by the Office of the University Registrar before the change will be noted on your academic record. An email notification will be sent to your Kent State University email address once your request has been approved and processed, or if your request is stopped or denied for any reason.
An email notification will be sent to your Kent State University email address once your request has been approved and processed, or if your request is stopped or denied for any reason.
Your GPS audit is the official source of your catalog year. When you access the GPS audit your Catalog year will be displayed on the right side of the Degree block. Log into FlashLine and click on the Student Tools and Courses tab to access the link to your GPS audit.
- Log into FlashLine, then click on the Student Tools and Courses tab. The Undergraduate Catalog can be found in the GPS channel.
- Access the Kent State University Catalog from the Academics web page.
Log into FlashLine and click on the Student Tools and Courses tab. In the Academic Profile channel, click on the Transcript link to view your academic record. Note: Former students who do not have access to view the online transcript may request a copy of their transcripts by following the directions on the Transcript Requests page.
A midterm (seventh week) evaluation is completed for all freshmen who have earned less than 30 credit hours. This evaluation is available to freshmen in FlashLine. Log into FlashLine and click on the Student Tools and Courses tab to access the link to view Midterm Grades. This evaluation will not be included as part of your permanent record.
Final grades are reported at the close of each academic term (or part of term) and become a part of the student's permanent record. You may check your current term final grades by logging into FlashLine and clicking on the Student Tools and Courses tab to access the link to view final grades for the current term.
To view final grades and term / cumulative totals for previous terms, access your advising transcript in FlashFAST or:
See the Disclosure of Directory Information section on the Registrar's FERPA page.