NSF Career Proposal Writing Workshop 2013
NSF CAREER Proposal Writing Workshop
May 7, 2013
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 P.M
Kent Student Center, Room 310 AB
This one-day workshop sponsored by the Division of Research and Sponsored Programs offers a unique opportunity to learn about the extramural funding process, proposal development, submission, and peer reviews. Although the workshop’s focus will be on the CAREER solicitation of the National Science Foundation, the information and discussions will be very pertinent to grant applications for unsolicited proposals and other NSF initiatives, Department of Energy, and other federal agencies.
Presenters for the workshop have extensive experience in effective proposal writing, review, and performance of research funded by extramural grants. Satyen Kumar, one of the instructors, has served as an NSF program director for three years. He will discuss NSF funding programs that are not well known and offer insight into the aspects of a proposal that make it strong but are not often discussed elsewhere. Emphasis will be placed on "writing" a strong proposal.
Highlights of the workshop include:
- Information about NSF programs
- How to Communicate with Program Directors
- Specific requirements for CAREER proposal
- Techniques to write winning proposals; writing the Project Summary and Description
- What are Intellectual Merit and Broader Impact?
- Developing strategies for success
- Avoiding common and fatal mistakes
- Understanding reviewers’ critiques and how to benefit from them
- A simulated review panel to understand the process, what is important to the reviewers, program directors, and the grant agency
Extended discussions will follow presentations and the participants will:
- Have an opportunity to discuss specific questions/situations
- Receive two sample proposals to review and submit reports for the mock panel review
To draw the most benefit from this workshop, we encourage you to share your proposals for the simulated panel review.
Registration is limited to 20 participants. REGISTRATION ENDS APRIL 9, 2013
Click on the Registration link below:
Contact Jim Maxwell at 330.672.0731 or Jmaxwel2@kent.edu with questions.