Level I - Exempt Research
Your research may qualify for exemption (Level I) if it falls into one of these six categories:
- Research being conducted in established or commonly-accepted educational settings including, but not limited to, schools and colleges. This research will only involve normal educational practices.
- Research that will involve only the use of educational tests, survey procedures, interview procedures, or observation of public behavior
- Research will involve only the use of educational tests, survey procedures, interview procedures or observation of public behavior of public officials or candidates for public office.
- Research will involve only the collection of existing data, documents, records, pathological specimens, or diagnostic specimens and these data are publicly available or the information is deidentified.
- Research is for public benefit or federal service programs
- Research is for taste and food quality and/or consumer acceptance studies.
Please note: you will be contacted if, after your research is reviewed, it is found that it does not meet the requirements for Level I Research - exemption of annual review. At that time, you will need to complete the full application for use of human subjects in research.