Ph.D. University of Iowa, 2002
- Deviant Behavior
- Individual and Society
- Introduction to Sociology
- Proseminar (now Professional and Ethical Issues in Sociology)
- Seminar in Personality & Social Systems
- Seminar in the Sociology of Deviance
- Special Topics: Puzzles in Social Psychology and Social Neuroscience
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
I am focusing on collecting data for a number of projects looking at how the brain mediates and modulates social processes, including the formation of social bonds (with Shane R. Thye, Edward J. Lawler, Guillaume Dumas, and others) and people's reactions to social feedback that is relevant to their identities (with Richard Serpe and others). The projects are being carried out in our new EEG laboratory, which is part of an interdisciplinary consortium created in 2014 with Rob Clements from Biology and Dave Fresco from Psychology.
ATTENTION STUDENTS: If you are interested in volunteering or possibly earning course credit for assisting our research team in the EEG lab, please complete the following form: Lab Assistant Application.
- Kalkhoff, Will, Reef Youngreen, Leda Nath, and Michael J. Lovaglia. "Human Participants in Laboratory Experiments in the Social Sciences. Forthcoming in Laboratory Experiments in the Social Sciences, 2nd ed., edited by Murray Webster, Jr. and Jane Sell. San Diego, CA: Elsevier.
- Gregory, Stanford W., Jr. and Will Kalkhoff. 2013. "Comprehending the Neurological Substratum of Paraverbal Communications: The Invention of SplitSpec Systems Technology." Pp. 369-84 in the Handbook of Neurosociology, edited by David D. Franks and Jonathan Turner. New York: Springer.
- Kalkhoff, Will, Shane R. Thye, and Edward J. Lawler, eds. 2012. Advances in Group Processes: Biosociology and Neurosociology. Vol. 29. Bingley, UK: Emerald Press.
- Kalkhoff, Will, Joseph Dippong, and Stanford W. Gregory, Jr. 2011. "The Biosociology of Solidarity." Sociology Compass 5:936-48.
- Kalkhoff, Will and Stanford W. Gregory, Jr. 2008. "Beyond the Issues: Nonverbal Vocal Accommodation, Power Rituals, and 'Rope-A-Dopes' in the 2008 Presidential Debates." Current Research in Social Psychology 14(3):39-51.
Press: British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) World Service, "Science in Action," 11/7/2008, http://www.personal.kent.edu/~wkalkhof/Sounds/BBC.mp3
RECENT FUNDED EXTERNAL GRANTS
- Kalkhoff, Will (PI), Noah E. Friedkin (Co-PI), and Eugene C. Johnsen (Co-PI). 2007-2010. “Status Characteristics and Opinion Formation: A Theoretical Integration.” National Science Foundation; SES-0719310; $165,000 to KSU.
- Gregory, Stanford W., Jr. and Will Kalkhoff. 2011. U.S. Non-Provisional Patent No. 8,000,958. “A Device and Method for Improving Communication Through Dichotic Input of a Speech Signal.” Washington, D.C.: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Kalkhoff, Will. 2014. “Hear Me Out! Exploring the Relationship Between Paraverbal Control and Audience Perceptions of Dominance and Deference During Conflict and Cooperation.” University of North Carolina – Charlotte, Department of Sociology.
- Kalkhoff, Will. 2013. “The (Causal?) Relationship Between Paraverbal Control and Audience Perceptions of Dominance and Prestige: An Analysis of Three Gun Control Interviews on Piers Morgan Tonight.” Experimental Social Psychology Student Group, University of South Carolina.
- Kalkhoff, Will, Lisa Slattery Walker, an d Murray Webster, Jr. 2013. “Comparing Models of Second-Order Expectations.” Annual Meetings of Group Processes, Eastern Sociological Society, Boston, MA.
- Dippong, Joseph and Will Kalkhoff. 2012. “Predicting Status Evaluations from Affective Impressions.” 24th Annual Group Processes Conference, Denver, CO.
SELECTED PROFESSIONAL SERVICE ACTIVITIES
- Deputy Editor, Social Psychology Quarterly (begins August 2014).
- Chair, Best Faculty Book Award Committee, Section on Evolution, Biology, and Society, American Sociological Association (2014).
- Elected member, Evolution, Biology, & Society Section Council, American Sociological Association (2013-2016).
- Elected member, Social Psychology Section Council, American Sociological Association (2010-2013).
- Editorial board member, Social Psychology Quarterly (2008-2010).
- Co-organizer, 18th Annual Group Processes Conference, Montreal (Quebec) Canada (2006).
- Social Psychology
- Status and identity
- Social exchange
- Group Processes Research Laboratory
- Kent Electrical Neuroimaging Laboratory