FYE Success Series
The Stark Campus FYE Success Series is a sequence of workshops to help first year students succeed.
- Attendance at two (2) Success Series sessions is required for UC 10097: Destination Kent State FYE classes.
- Students who participated in a 2016 FYE Summer Service Project will receive one credit toward their Success Series attendance requirement for their UC 10097 class.
- Be sure you register for your Success Series sessions.
spring 2017 Success Series Sessions
Florence Summer Institute Information Session
What are your summer plans? You could spend your summer living and studying in one of the most beautiful and historic cities on earth, walking the same stone streets Michelangelo, Galileo and Dante walked. Learn about applying, classes and cost at the Florence Summer Institute Information Session.
- Wednesday, Jan. 25 • 12 - 1 p.m. • 007 Library
Summer Study Abroad Opportunities Information Session
Choose from over 30 locations around the world to spend your summer studying abroad! Gain valuable international experience, take courses toward your degree and make memories of a lifetime. Learn about locations, classes and cost at the Summer Study Abroad Opportunities Information Session.
- Thursday, Jan. 26 • 3 - 4 p.m. • 007 Library
Student Organization Resource Fair - Sponsored by Student Involvement
Attend this fair to get to know Kent State Stark’s student organizations. Make sure to pick up a questionnaire at the Student Involvement table prior to visiting tables. Choose one date:
- Tuesday, Feb. 7 • 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. • Campus Center
- Wednesday, Feb. 8 • 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. • Campus Center
How to Search for Scholarships
The Stark Campus awards a variety of scholarships each year and we want you to apply! Learn how to search for scholarships, when to apply and how to write your essays.
- Tuesday, Feb. 7 • 1:30 - 2 p.m. • Main Hall Auditorium
Dish with the Dean
Dish with the Dean is a unique opportunity to join campus dean, Dr. Seachrist, for a casual conversation. Bring your lunch, ideas, concerns and suggestions. Stop by anytime between 12 - 1 p.m.
- Wednesday, Feb. 8 • 12 - 1 p.m. • Campus Center
Speak Your Truth: Panel Discussion
Safe Spaces and Safety Pins - What is your idea of a safe space and why are they necessary? Join the discussion to learn, be challenged and challenge others on issues that affect and matter to you.
- Wednesday, Feb. 8 • 3 - 4 p.m. • Campus Center
Student Involvement: Getting Involved Right from the Start
Learn what Student Involvement is all about! Don’t miss the chance to join a student organization, help plan campus events and have fun.
- Tuesday, Feb. 14 • 3 - 3:30 p.m. • Main Hall Auditorium
Featured Speaker: Susannah Cahalan
Susannah Cahalan is the New York Times bestselling author of Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness. In the memoir, Cahalan recounts the day she woke up in a strange hospital room, strapped to a bed, unable to move or speak, with no recollection of how she got there. Her medical records—from a month-long hospital stay of which she has no memory—showed psychosis, violence and dangerous instability. Since sharing her remarkable story, thousands more have been diagnosed with the same autoimmune disease and saved the anguish and cost of misdiagnoses. Cahalan currently works as a news reporter at the New York Post and, in 2009, was the proud recipient of the Silurian Award of Excellence for the article “My Mysterious Lost Month of Madness.” Tickets are required for admittance. Pick up a maximum of four tickets per person beginning Monday, Jan. 23 at the Main Hall Information Desk.
- Wednesday, Feb. 15 • 7:30 - 8:30 p.m. • Conference Center
Choosing a Major: Where Should I Begin? Can I Still Change Mine?
Topics will include tips and tricks for exploring a possible major, researching career opportunities related to a specific major, using the Kent Core requirements to your advantage and identifying resources that will assist you in making a decision.
- Wednesday, Feb. 22 • 1:30 - 2 p.m. • Main Hall Auditorium
Using Your MyPlan Results
Now that you’ve taken the MyPlan assessment, find out how to use the results to your advantage. What happens if you don’t agree with your results? Come to this session to find out more about interpreting your scores.
- Monday, Feb. 27 • 2 - 2:30 p.m. • Main Hall Auditorium
Stress gets a pretty bad rap when, in reality, it has a lot of benefits! This session will teach you a new perspective on stress, and how to make sure you are making your stress work FOR you, not against you.
- Tuesday, Feb. 28 • 4 - 4:30 p.m. • Main Hall Auditorium
Learn how to improve your time management skills to balance work, school and life.
- Monday, March 6 • 12 - 12:30 p.m. • Main Hall Auditorium
Learn how to improve your study skills to ace that upcoming test.
- Tuesday, March 7 • 11 - 11:30 a.m. • Main Hall Auditorium