Commencement is a special time for the university community. Whether a student, faculty member, family member or friend, graduation is an important event that marks a momentous occasion in the lives of our graduates and the entire university community.
For the first time, Kent State University will add a university-wide ceremony for the 256th Commencement Exercises on Saturday, May 13, 2017. Graduate participation and more information can be found at www.kent.edu/commencement.
KENT STATE STARK SPRING 2017 COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY
Friday, May 12, 2017 at 7 p.m.
Umstattd Performing Arts Hall
2323 17th St. NW
Canton, Ohio 44708
Umstattd Hall is the permanent home of the Canton Symphony Orchestra and is located on the Canton McKinley High School campus.
Graduate Reservations Required
Deadline: Friday, April 28 at 5 p.m. Please make your reservation before attending the Commencement Fair.
MAKE YOUR RESERVATION
Questions about Commencement should be directed to Ruby Groves at 330-244-3279.
Important Details for Graduates
Attend the Spring 2017 Commencement Fair in the Campus Center
All your graduation needs in one convenient location!
- Tuesday, March 14: 4:30 - 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 15: 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Representatives from the following areas will be available:
- Bookstore - order your Cap & Gown
- Student Services - pick up your Commencement tickets (up to six per graduate)
- Advising Services
- Financial Aid
- Career Services
Honors Cords - If applicable to you
- Review Graduation with Institutional Honors
- If applicable, pick up the appropriate cord from Ruby Groves in the Office of Student Services, 132 Main Hall
Can't Attend the Commencement Fair? Do the Following:
- Make your reservation to participate in the ceremony by April 28
- Pick up your tickets (maximum six) in the Office of Student Services, 132 Main Hall, beginning March 16 (see instructions below)
- Stop at the Bookstore to order your cap, gown and tassel (see instructions below)
When to Arrive at Commencement
- Time: 5:30 p.m.
- Report to the assembly area; staff will be there to direct you
- Leave your personal belongings with family members
- Have your photo taken with Dean Denise A. Seachrist
There will not be a traditional graduation practice prior to Commencement. Graduates will be given detailed instructions when they arrive.
Graduates will wear the traditional cap and gown. Caps should be placed or pinned so that they appear flat on top of the head. Acceptable attire for under your gown should be professional dress. Jeans, shorts and sneakers should not be worn.
- Women should wear dresses, skirts or dress pants and mid-heeled dress shoes or boots
- Men should wear dress pants and dress shoes
Tickets are required for admission to the ceremony. Each graduate will be issued up to six (6) tickets. Tickets will be available for pick-up at the Commencement Fair in the Campus Center on March 14 & 15.
Beginning March 16, tickets will be available for pick-up in the Office of Student Services until Friday, April 28 at 5 p.m. Any tickets not claimed by April 28 will be made available to graduates who need additional tickets. If tickets are available, you may pick up four (4) additional tickets beginning Monday, May 1 in the Office of Student Services.
Caps, Gowns & Tassels
The Bookstore will be taking orders for caps, gowns and tassels at the Commencement Fair. To reserve your cap and gown, visit the Bookstore during the Commencement Fair in the Campus Center on Tuesday, March 14 from 4:30 - 6:30 p.m. or Wednesday, March 15 from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. Note: Caps, gowns and tassels must be ordered at the Commencement Fair. Any orders taken after the Commencement Fair may incur a late fee service charge and height and sizes will be limited. Contact the Bookstore at 330-244-3204 for more information.
Announcements & Class Rings
A representative from Jostens will be at the Commencement Fair on March 14 & 15. Announcements and class rings must be special ordered through Jostens.
Diplomas are mailed to your permanent address 6-8 weeks after the commencement ceremony. You will not receive your actual diploma at Commencement. Please make sure your address is up to date in FlashLine. The name that will appear on your diploma is the name on your student academic record. This is the name that prints on your transcript, invoice, schedule, etc.
Diploma frames can be purchased through the Bookstore.