PLA Mentor Selection
What is a Mentor
A PLA Mentor will co-lead a group of about 25 eager freshmen students in leadership development activities that will help them learn the Kent State University campus. The goal of the mentor is to serve as an example of student leadership to the PLA members while possessing a broad knowledge of the university. Mentors will be called on to follow up with their students throughout the week, lead wrap-up discussions and introduce key officials on campus. On the social side, PLA Mentors will work with the advisors and plan social activities for the members throughout the year. Ultimately, PLA Mentors will guide members through the program while promoting a positive team relationship through role modeling, problem solving and assisting with long and short term solutions.
Requirements of A Mentor:
Mentors receive a $250 stipend per semester for their role and meeting the following requirements:
- Maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher with Sophomore status.
- Maintain full time enrollment status (registered for more than 11 credit hours) both semesters.
- May not be under current judicial sanction(s).
- Commit three hours of service per week beginning during Destination Kent State: Welcome Weekend.
- Attend Mentor Training Sessions in Spring 2012 and September.
- Satisfactorily complete the responsibilities of the position.
- Serve as a good role model for the PLA members.
- Held previous leadership positions on campus or within the community.
How To Become a Mentor:
- Apply to be a Mentor by downloading the application here.
- Drop off application and a resume to the front desk of Student Success Programs Office in Olson Hall by 5:00 PM on (extended to) March 9, 2012.
- Notification of applicants selected for interviews will occur via email by March 14, 2012.
- Confirm interview date and time by 9:00 AM on March 19, 2012.
- Interviews will be held the Week of March 26, 2012.
- Notification of selected mentors will occur by April 5, 2012.
- Accept Mentor position by April 10, 2012.
- All Mentors are encouraged to participate in the PLA Member Interview Day on Friday, April 27, 2012 from 12:30 P.M. – 4:30 P.M.
- Contact N. J. Akbar (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions.