SOAR - ALEKS Math Placement Assessment
Before making a reservation for SOAR, all new first-year students must take the ALEKS online math placement assessment.
The math placement is administered online and you can take it from home. However, if you would prefer to take this assessment on campus, you may do so in the Computer Cyber Café on the second floor of Founders Hall on Tuesdays between the hours of 6 p.m. - 9 p.m. and Fridays from 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Follow the steps below to complete the math placement assessment:
- To log into Flashline for the first time, click on "FlashLine Login" at the top right of your screen.
- Your FlashLine User Name and Kent State ID Number are listed on your Welcome Letter.
- Your initial password consists of information that only you know.
The format for your initial 10-character password is: mmmyyxxxxx (all lower case)
After logging in, you will be prompted to change your password. Your new password must be comprised of at least eight characters, using a combination of upper and lower case letters and numbers. Note that your FlashLine password is case sensitive. Remember your new password!
- Once logged into FlashLine, select Student / Resources / ALEKS and Placement Assessments from the main menu.
- At the bottom right, you will see a "Placement Assessment" block.
- Click on "Math Placement" and you will see the link to take the assessment.
- You are required to take the ALEKS Math Placement only.
- Contact ALEKS Support if you have problems accessing the assessment.
- The math placement assessment should take 60-90 minutes to complete.
- Your placement results will be discussed with you at SOAR.
- If you prefer to take the assessment on campus, you may do so in the Cybe Café located on the second floor of Founders Hall on Tuesdays between the hours of 6 - 9 p.m. & Fridays between the hours of 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
The use of ALEKS requires installation of the ALEKS plug-in. The plug-in should install on your computer automatically the first time you access the ALEKS site. If you have trouble installing the plug-in, visit www.aleks.com/faqs/technical link below.
Optional Foreign Language Placement
If you are planning to major in a foreign language, or think you might take a foreign language class during your first semester, you are welcome to take the foreign language placement now. Your placement will be discussed with you at SOAR. This is not required but will be helpful if you need to take a foreign language during your first semester.
- Now that you've completed the online math assessment, you can make your reservation for SOAR.
- Take me to the online SOAR Reservation form.
Remember, before making your SOAR Reservation please complete the following items:
- You must be admitted to KSU Tuscarawas.
- All items on your Dynamic Student Check list must be completed.
- You must be a new first-year student.
- Transfer students, call 330-339-3391 for an advising appointment.
- You must have taken the ALEKS Math Placement Assessment.
Have your KSU ID Number and KSU email address ready to complete your SOAR reservation.