- Academic Departments
- Academic Success Center
- Academic Learning Center, Columbiana Campus
- Academic Advising - Undergraduate
- Academic STARS
- Academic Testing Services
- Academic Transfer
- Accreditation, Assessment and Learning (formerly Academic Quality Improvement Project or AQIP)
- Accounting, Department of
- Accounts Payable
- Accessibility Services
- Administrative Offices
- Adult Students
- Advanced Placement Program
- Aerospace Studies/Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corp
- Affirmative Action Office
- Air Force ROTC
- Alma Mater
- Alumni Relations
- Animal Research
- Annual Kent State Symposium on Democracy
- Apps, Kent State
- Anthropology, Department of
- Architecture and Environmental Design, College of
- Architect's Office
- Army ROTC
- Art, School of
- Art Education
- Arts and Sciences, College of
- Arts, College of the
- Ashtabula Campus
names of — University style is not to use acronyms for names of Kent State campuses, divisions, colleges, schools, departments, centers or programs.
buildings —For a complete listing of names and abbreviations, visit the Building Curators Directory at http://www.kent.edu/universityarchitect/building-curators-directory or contact the Office of the University Architect at 330-672-3880. The Office of the University Architect also has information about the history of the campus buildings. University style is not to use first names when designating a building or campus feature.
- The concert will be held in University Auditorium in Cartwright Hall.
- Advising sessions were held in Schwartz Center and Ritchie Hall.
- The event will be held at Risman Plaza.
- The Wick Poetry Center is located on the Lefton Esplanade.
Kent Campus — do not use Kent State campus; all references to the Kent Campus should be capitalized.
- The Kent Campus is divided into six districts — Front Campus, Central Campus, Music and Theatre, Residential, Science Mall and Recreation.
Regional Campuses — consult the online telephone directory for a complete listing of the Regional Campuses, including addresses and telephone numbers.
- Students from the Regional Campuses often transition to the Kent Campus.
- Numerous Regional Campus students have been Kent State valedictorians.
- Both the Kent and Regional campuses have experienced increased enrollments.
- The Regional Campuses are as follows: Kent State University at Ashtabula, Kent State University at East Liverpool, Kent State University at Geauga, Kent State University at Salem, Kent State University at Stark, Kent State University at Trumbull and Kent State University at Tuscarawas.
- Kent State University at Ashtabula; Kent State Ashtabula; the Kent State Ashtabula Campus; the campus.
- The lecture is at Kent State University at Tuscarawas. Kent State Tuscarawas holds the lecture series each year. Many of the lectures are held in the campus’s new Performing Arts Center. Numerous students visit the Kent, Kent State Geauga and Kent State Salem campuses each year. The Kent State University Regional Academic Center is in Twinsburg.
centers — a list of university centers and institutes is online at https://www.kent.edu/centers-institutes.
colleges — write out in full and capitalize on the first reference; lowercase for shortened, subsequent references.
- College of Architecture and Environmental Design; the college; architecture students
- College of the Arts; the college, students in the arts
- College of Arts and Sciences; the college; students in arts and sciences
- College of Business Administration; the college; business students
- College of Communication and Information; the college; students in communication and information
- College of Nursing; the college; nursing students
- College of Applied Engineering, Sustainability and Technology; the college; students in technology
courses – uppercase and DO NOT enclose in quotation marks.
departments – uppercase and use the official name on first reference; lowercase for shortened, subsequent references. The Department of Geology; the geology department; the department; the geology faculty.
divisions — write out in full and capitalize on the first reference; lowercase for shortened, subsequent reference.
- Division of Dance; the dance division, the division, dance faculty
- Division of Human Resources; the human resources division; the division; human resources staff
faculty and staff — faculty and staff listings appear in the online directory and can be accessed from the Kent State home page at www.kent.edu.
institutes — a list of university centers and institutes is online at https://www.kent.edu/centers-institutes.
instructional areas — lowercase references to majors, minors, concentrations, emphases and programs of study.
- history major; minor in British studies; emphasis in women’s studies;
- concentration in Romanian studies; concentration in psychiatric mental health nursing.
licenses — capitalize the names of state and national licenses and the exams required to earn them.
- Content Knowledge and Productive Knowledge
- Ohio Athletic Training Examinations
- Praxis I and Praxis exams; Praxis exams Part I and Part II
- Principles of Learning and Teaching (5-9) and (7-12)
- State Board Examination for Architects
major — lowercase the names of majors unless part of the name is a proper adjective.
- He is a history major.
- They are American studies majors.
minor — lowercase the names of minors unless part of the name is a proper adjective.
- She wants to pursue a minor in women’s studies.
- They are British studies minors.
offices – uppercase and use the official name on first reference; lowercase for shortened, subsequent references. The Student Financial Aid Office; the office, the Student Financial Aid Office staff, the staff.
programs — write out in full and capitalize for the first reference; lowercase for shortened, subsequent references. Capitalize program only when part of the official name. If in doubt, check with the appropriate office or department.
- The Academic STARS program (program is not part of the official name)
- The ACCESS Program (program is part of the official name)
- The Senior Guest Program (program is part of the official name)
- The Upward Bound program (program is not part of the official name)
- First-year Experience program (program is not part of the official name)
rooms — follow AP.
- Ballroom, Kent Student Center
- Hub, Kent Student Center
- University Auditorium, Cartwright Hall
- Room 306, Kent Student Center
schools — write out in full and capitalize on the first reference; lowercase for shortened, subsequent references.
- School of Art; the school; art students
- School of Music, the school; music programs
university — Kent State University for first reference; Kent State is preferred for subsequent reference; the university is also acceptable for subsequent references. KSU, without periods, should be used sparingly and only for audiences in Northeast Ohio, or in tightly spaced, tabulated copy.
NEO Beam Alliance Ltd. — as a result of the partnership between Kent State and Mercury Plastics, a factory was created. The factory is called NEO Beam Alliance Ltd.
NEOMED — use Northeast Ohio Medical University on first reference; NEOMED for subsequent references; formerly Northeast Ohio Universities College of Medicine and Pharmacy (NEOUCOM).
NEOUCOM — see NEOMED.
numbers — follow the AP Stylebook with the exception of credit hours. See the entry for credit hours above.