For those of you interested in pursuing maintenance of your websites in the university's centralized content management system (CMS), please note we are transitioning to a new platform and will resume integration and redesign projects at that time.
Access to CommonSpot is provided as a courtesy of the Division of Information Services.
We hold training sessions once a month for new users, users wanting a refresher and those seeking more advanced knowledge. Web team also offers weekly office hours for questions and individualized help is also available.
Upcoming Training Dates
Beginner training is best for those who have never used CommonSpot. It's recommended that all new users attend one Beginner Training session. Be sure to also review the CommonSpot manual before attending.
- May 22; 2:30-4:30 p.m.
- June 24; 1:30-3:30 p.m.
- July 25; 9:30-11:30 a.m.
- Aug. 26; 2:30-4:30 p.m.
In Person Beginner Training (2 Hours, In-Person)
- Intended for those who would like a guided, hands-on training experience - especially those who are not as experienced with web editing
- Introduction to Content Management, CommonSpot and Web Editing
- Basic Editing for Existing Pages - Overview (Tools: Text, Images, Publishing Pages)
- Basic Editing for Existing Pages - Hands On (Practice Website)
- Adding New Content and Pages - Overview (Tools: Bulleted Lists, Links, QuickLinks, Layouts)
- Adding New Content and Pages - Hands On (Practice Website)
- Setting Up Navigation and Subsites
- Next Steps for Your Website
Express Beginner Training (1 hour, Online)
- An expedited, completely-online version of Beginner Training
- Get started in CommonSpot quickly - especially if you have previous web editing experience
- Facilitator will demonstrate and explain CommonSpot page editing tools, creating new pages, setting up page navigation and basic CommonSpot features through audio and video
- Hands-on exercises are not provided in Express Beginner Training
Intermediate Training is for users who are familiar with CommonSpot and have been making basic updates to their site already. Do not register for Intermediate Training unless you have already completed Beginner Training and have worked on your website for four months.
- April 24; 9-11 a.m.
- May 9; 10 a.m.-noon
- June 12; 2:30-4:30 p.m.
- July 15; 10 a.m.-noon
- Aug. 22; 1-3 p.m.
Intermediate CommonSpot Training Covers:
- The Reusable Textblock element
- Web forms in CommonSpot
- The News element
- Faculty and staff profiles
- Review: creating pages and setting up navigation