Its all about mental health
AMERICAN COLLEGE HEALTH ASSOCIATION National College Health Assessment Data*
Top five impediments to academic performance:
- Cold/Flu/Sore Throat
- Sleep difficulties
- Concern for friend of family
- Depression/anxiety disorders
(1 through 4 have remained unchanged since ACHA-NCHA survey in 2000)
The rate of students reporting ever being diagnosed with depression has increased 56% in the last seven years, from 10% in spring 2000 to 16% in fall 2007.
13% of students reported experiencing an emotionally abusive relationship in the last school year.
* Source: American College Health Association
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
TIPS FOR MAINTAINING POSITIVE MENTAL HEALTH:
(2006 BACCHUS Network)
- Practice positive thinking: you don’t need to be perfect, if you are feeling anxious or overwhelmed, take time to slow down and make a plan for what you want to do.
- Your physical health has an impact on your mental health: make sure you get enough sleep, eat right and exercise regularly, and take time for yourself on a regular basis.
- Stay connected with others: talk to someone when you are upset, get involved in social networks or volunteer with a local organization.