Undergraduate Symposium on Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity
April 2, 2014
1:00 - 5:00 PM
University Libraries, Kent Campus
The Symposium is an opportunity for our students to share the results of a topic they explored in depth with the entire Kent State community.
- Undergraduate students attending any of Kent State's eight campuses and representing any major are eligible to participate.
- Student researchers are encouraged to submit a brief abstract indicating their intent to participate.
- The deadline to submit abstracts has been extended to March 3 at 5:00p.m.
- Students choosing to perform a creative work (dance, theater, music, etc.) will be allotted a maximum of 10 minutes (including set-up and take-down) to present.
- Participants must display a poster or creative product that can be viewed by those in attendance at the symposium.
- Posters should measure 36x48, include KSU logo, title of project, name/s of author including faculty mentor.
- Easels and a 36x48 foam core board will be provided for all poster presentations. Students not providing a poster presentation will be responsible for bringing their own equipment (instrument, laptop, etc.).
- Submissions will be judged for quality of presentation including but not limited to display, conclusions, and clarity of 3-5 minute verbal overview of poster.
- Student participants will be considered for cash awards for first place in the amount of $500 and second place in the amount of $200 based on their display and/or presentations. Awards will be made by discipline with a minimum of one prize and in cases where there are large submissions, a maximum of two prizes.
- All research, scholarly work, or creative activity must be representative of the participant's faculty- or graduate-student mentored work.
- Students will need to be present during judging (time to be announced) and the awards ceremony, 4-5 p.m.
- Workshops will be provided in advance of the Symposium to assist participants in preparing for their presentations.
- Please direct any questions regarding the Symposium to Eboni Pringle, Interim Dean, Undergraduate Studies at email@example.com.
The Fashion School will print student posters for the April 2, 2014 symposium:
Printing is available for $8.00 per poster (for the Undergraduate Research Symposium only) while supplies and resources last. This offer will occur on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Students must allow at least 2 working days to have files printed
- Files should be available in PDF, TIFF, JPG, PSD and/or AI formats (No Word or PowerPoint files)
- Students can bring the electronic file on a USB drive to the Fashion School Room 302 Rockwell Hall before 12 p.m. and after 1:00 p.m. starting March 7, 2014
Interested students should contact James Ahmad in the Fashion School's TechStyleLAB at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sponsored by The Office of the Provost, Honors College, Research and Sponsored Programs, Undergraduate Studies, and University Libraries