Required Computer Purchase
Prior to the beginning of the first semester of the freshman year, all Visual Communication Design and Photo Illustration majors are required to purchase a Macintosh laptop computer and specific graphic software as described below. The computer and software will be used in subsequent VCD courses throughout the remainder of the degree program.
Apple MacBook Pro
$2,399.00 (*Flash Technology Center at the University Bookstore Education Pricing $2249.00)
Contact the Flash Technology Center at (330) 672 - 1595 for education pricing and special offers.
- 15-inch Display
- Specifications: Quad-core Intel Core i7 processor
- 16GB of RAM; 1600MHz memory
- 256GB PCle-based flash storage
- Intel Iris Pro Graphics +AMD Radeon R9 M370X w/2GB GDDDR5 memory
- Built-in battery (8 hours)
- >= 1 TB External Hard Drive(USB 3.0)
- 2-3 USB Jump Drives (at least 8GB each)
*Flash Technology Center offers discounted Apple hardware pricing.
- 1 TB External Hard drive (USB or Thunderbolt)
- 2-3 USB Jump Drives (at least 8 GB each)
- 1st Semester Freshman require: Adobe Creative Cloud for Students ($19.99 a month)
- 2nd Semester Freshman require: Adobe Font Folio Education Essentials ($149.00)
The software may be purchased from the Adobe website: http://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/buy/students.html
Questions regarding the VCD required Computer Purchase Program should be directed to Bob Baumann via email at email@example.com.
*Note that the new Solid State Drives that come on the Retinal Display computers DO qualify. Apple will release newer versions of MacBook Pro products over time. Students need only obtain a computer that meets or exceeds the specifications listed at the time the student enters the program.
**Kent State University has no control over Adobe software costs. All Adobe Prices are subject to change and do not include sales tax. The School of VCD attempts to make software and hardware as affordable as possible