Authorization of Absence

College and University policies govern all absences by faculty members.  It is understood that a faculty member will meet classes at the time scheduled unless some satisfactory alternative arrangement has been authorized.  Faculty members who will be absent from campus for professional or personal reasons must file, in the Department, the Faculty Absence Authorization Form; except under unusual circumstances, the authorization form should be submitted in advance of travel.

  1. Sick Leave

    The University provides paid sick leave for faculty members.  (See UPR 6-11).  Faculty members meeting the conditions for sick leave and unable to meet their classes shall notify the Chairperson so that arrangements for their classes can be made and records can be updated.  A formal request for utilization of sick leave (Form PS-2566 A) will be prepared by the faculty member and submitted to the Chairperson as soon as possible.

  2. Pregnancy Leave

    The Department follows the University policy regarding pregnancy leave as detailed in UPR 6-11.

  3. Travel

    The Department encourages faculty participation in regional, national, and international conferences and other outside professional activities.  Faculty members must file, with the Chairperson, a Faculty Absence Authorization/Expenditure Estimate form well in advance of the activity.  Arrangements for any classes to be missed must have the approval of the Chairperson.  Upon returning from an approved professional activity, the faculty member desiring reimbursement must file a Travel Expense Reimbursement Request form.  Within the limits set by the availability of Departmental travel funds, the amount of reimbursement for incurred professional expenses is determined at the discretion of the Chairperson and by the travel regulations of the University and College.  Faculty members are strongly encouraged to seek travel funds from outside the Department.  (See UPR 7-02.8).