Nikki Kukwa Memorial Aeronautics Camp
Fifteen female, high school students will receive a free, three-day camp experience, July 12-14, 2018, through the Nikki Kukwa Memorial Aviation Fund and Kent State University’s College of Aeronautics and Engineering. Deadline for Summer 2018 Camp is June 15, 2018. Apply to the tenth annual, Nikki Kukwa Memorial Aeronautics Camp today for consideration.
Students will explore careers in aviation while staying in dorms on Kent State University Main Campus. The camp includes a tour of the Cleveland Hopkins International Airport, experience at KSU’s Air Traffic Control Lab, a tour of Parker Hannifin’s Flight Department and a flight out of the KSU Airport. University personnel provide information regarding academic programs, financial aid and campus life.
For more information, contact Liz Porter at 330-672-4449.
All application materials must be submitted, postmarked or emailed by June 15, 2018. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
How To Apply
- Complete this application.
- Submit one of the following items:
- 500-word essay about why you would like to attend the camp and upload the document within the application above.
- Teacher recommendation letter: Ask a teacher to write a letter of recommendation and submit it in a sealed envelope or email to Liz Porter email@example.com
If mailing, request that your teacher sign the back of the envelope after it has been sealed, and deliver it to Aeronautics and Technology Building, Office of Student Services, Room 127 or mail to:Nikki Kukwa Memorial Aeronautics Camp
College of Aeronautics and Engineering
Office of Student Services
127 Aeronautics and Technology Building
1400 Lefton Esplanade
Kent, Ohio 44242
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I need to do to be considered for the camp?
- You must be a female, high school student with an interest in aviation. A complete registration must be submitted by the deadline. A parent/guardian must give permission for you to attend the camp.
What do I bring to the camp? You’ll need to pack:
- your tooth brush and tooth paste
- shampoo and soap
What do I wear during the camp?
- We do not allow campers to wear shorts during the camp. Pants are preferred. We supply two tee shirts. Keep in mind, one formal dinner will take place, so bring a professional outfit.
What are the camp rules?
- No cell phones during certain points in camp
- Behave in the same way you would in a typical classroom
- Additional rules will be provided upon acceptance to camp
What if I do not know a lot about airplanes?
- All you need is an interest in aviation and a desire to learn!
Why does Kent State University host this camp?
- The Nikki Kukwa Memorial Aviation camp was created by the parents of Nicole “Nikki” Kukwa, a former KSU flight student who passed away in October 2006. Nikki was an advocate for girls interested in aviation.
- This camp helps promote the industry and education campers on career options in aeronautics.
Do I have to take a test?
- No tests!
I have a disability, can I still attend the camp?
- Yes, but please allow KSU coordinators to know what your needs are prior to the start of camp, so accommodations can be made.
I attended in the past. Can I attend again?
- A candidate can attend a maximum of two years of the camp. However, applying does not guarantee acceptance.