Waive English Language Requirement
All international applicants whose education has been primarily outside the United States of America must provide objective evidence of proficiency in the English language. However, the following exceptions apply:
1. Applicants primarily educated in the following countries/territories:
|Antigua & Barbuda||*Kenya|
|British Virgin Islands||Nigeria|
|Canada (except Quebec)||Sierra Leone|
|*Eswatini (Swaziland)||St. Helena|
|Falkland Islands||St. Kitts & Nevis|
|Gambia, The||St. Vincent & the Grenadines|
|Gibraltar||Trinidad and Tobago|
|Grenada||Turks & Caicos Islands|
|Ireland||United States Territories|
|Isle of Man||Zambia|
* English language proficiency test only waived for applicants from English language educational systems.
2. Applicants who have recently completed three years of full-time study at a secondary institution in the U.S. may be exempted from this requirement after supporting academic records have been reviewed by the Admissions Office.
3. Applicants who have received a U.S. Bachelor’s or U.S. Master’s degree or who have completed two years of full-time academic study at an accredited post-secondary institution within the U.S. or at a U.S accredited post-secondary institution overseas.
4. Applicants who have completed three years of full-time study at a U.S. accredited high school overseas and have received (or will receive) the U.S. high school diploma.
5. Applicants who have a minimum SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing of 510.
6. Applicants who have a minimum ACT English score of 21.
7. International Baccalaureate (IB) applicants to Kent State may satisfy this requirement by attaining a minimum score of 5 in the Diploma Programme higher level or a minimum score of 6 in the standard level English language examinations. Or, applicants who have completed the ELS level 112 will be considered as met the English language requirement for undergraduate applications.
8. Applicants who have received a score of A, B, or C on the GCE O-Level, A-Level, GCSE, or IGCSE English Language (First Language) exam.
Any request for a waiver of the English language proficiency requirement must be submitted in writing to the International Admissions Office with any supporting documentation.
Kent State University reserves the right to require evidence of English language proficiency for all applicants, the adequacy of which shall be at the sole discretion of Kent State University.