Employee FAQ | Kent State University

Frequently Asked Questions about Employee Health:

Who can be seen at University Health Services (UHS)?

KSU full time and part time Faculty and Staff are eligible to be seen.

How do I make an appointment at UHS?

Appointments can be made by calling 330-672-2322.

Can I fill a prescription from a community clinician at UHS' pharmacy?

Yes.  Bring your prescription to our pharmacy and our pharmacists will fill it.  Keep in mind that there are a few medications that we do not stock on a regular basis. Call our Pharmacists at 330-672-8254 to find out more information about your prescription.

You do not have to have insurance to fill a prescription at our pharmacy. The pharmacy only accepts Caremark, and the Student Health Insurance Plan. The pharmacy has very reasonable prices on many prescriptions and over-the-counter medications.

review pharmacy Information

Does the Health Center accept outside orders for lab?

Yes.  UHS uses University Hospitals Portage Medical Center (UH PMC) as our reference lab.  A UH PMC phlebotomist is onsite daily from 8 am – 5pm.

Does the UHS accept outside orders for physical therapy?

Yes.  Please call 330-672-2098to schedule an appointment.

Does UHS accept outside orders for X-Ray?

Yes. No appointment required.

Access radiology Information

Will you send claims to my insurance company?

Yes.  UHS is a network provider for major insurance plans, including Anthem and Medical Mutual of Ohio.  UHS submits claims to all insurance plans, regardless of our network participation.  Please bring your insurance card to your appointment.

What will be my out of pocket expenses?

For insured employees, office copays are required at the time of service.  PCP copay applies.  If services are applied to your deductible or considered non-covered by your insurance company, you may incur additional out of pocket expenses.  UHS accepts cash, check and major credit cards.

UHS has a reasonable self pay fee schedule for uninsured, eligible KSU employees.