Student FAQ | University Health Services | Kent State University

Frequently Asked Questions about Student Health:

Who can be seen at University Health Services (UHS)?

During fall, spring, and summer semesters, all currently enrolled students are eligible. For intersession eligibility and eligibility for students not currently enrolled during the summer semester, please contact us at 330-672-2232. KSU Faculty and Staff are also eligible to be seen.

How do I make an appointment at UHS?

Appointments can be made by calling 330-672-2322. Appointments with medical clinicians can also be made online or by coming to the health center.

Schedule an Appointment

Can students at a regional campus use UHS?

Regional campus students are welcome to use the health center. However, a $65 fee will be charged once each semester you use the health center. The fee must be paid at the first visit.

What if I get sick in the middle of the night or over the weekend when UHS is closed?

If it is an emergency, call 911. If it is not an emergency, or if you are unsure, call the 24-hour nurse helpline at 330-672-2326. The nurses will help you decide what to do. They will be able to help you decide if you need to call 911 immediately, go to the ER or urgent care center, schedule an appointment at the health center in the morning, or just try self-help measures at home. They will also be able to direct you to the nearest hospital, urgent care center and minute clinics in the area

If I am sick and miss class, can I get an excuse from UHS?

UHS does not provide written absence excuses for students who miss a class, presentation, quiz, exam, or other academic responsibility.

Review the Excuse Policy

Can I fill a prescription my family doctor gave me at UHS?

Bring the prescription to our pharmacy and our pharmacists will fill it, but keep in mind that there are a few medications (including stimulants) that we do not stock on a regular basis. Call our Pharmacy at 330-672-8254 to find out more information about your prescription. You do not have to have insurance to fill a prescription at our pharmacy, but the pharmacy only accepts Caremark, Caresource and the student insurance plan. The pharmacy has very reasonable self-pay prices on many prescriptions and over-the-counter medications.

Access Pharmacy Information

How do I get a prescription for birth control?

Birth control is prescribed by health center clinicians. An appointment is required to review medical history and help you decide which method is best. A physical exam may also be recommended. You may fill the prescription at the UHS pharmacy or an outside pharmacy.

Does the Health Center accept outside orders for lab?

Yes. Laboratory services are performed by Quest Diagnostics. A Quest phlebotomist is available from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Thursday, and 9:45 am to 4:30 pm on Friday. The lab closes for lunch from 12 pm to 1 pm daily.

Does UHS accept outside orders for X-ray?

Yes. Radiology is available from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Thursday, and 9:45 am to 4:30 pm on Friday. Radiology closes for lunch from 12 pm to 1 pm daily.

Review Radiology Information

Can I get my allergy injections at UHS?

Effective July 1, 2018, UHS will be discontinuing the Allergy Clinic. For more information, please click here.

How can I pay for UHS charges?

We will submit to most insurance plans (bring your insurance card with you).  We accept cash, check, credit/debit card, and flashcash. We also can charge your Student Account.

If my insurance will not pay for my visit, what charges will I be responsible for?

Patients are responsible for copays, deductibles and coinsurance as indicated on the insurance explanation of payment.  The Patient's Student Account will be charged if a patient balance remains after the insurance has paid.

Does the university offer an insurance plan for students?

Yes, Kent State offers a student health insurance plan through UnitedHealthcare Student Resources. You may visit their website at

What is the Kent State University's immunization requirement?

All students born after January 1, 1957, must show proof of 2 MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) vaccines after the age of one and separated by at least one month.  There is an immunization requirement form that all students can download or submit records from their primary care, or school and return to the university health center.

Learn More About Immunization Information