Resources for Assessment
In June, 2018, as part of Kent State’s enhance assessment culture strategy, the Office of Accreditation, Assessment and Learning announced a plan to develop expertise in the area of assessment of student learning in curricular and co-curricular programs. The goal was to build a group of people with assessment interests made up of assessment coordinators, faculty and staff.
To help achieve the goal, the Office of Accreditation, Assessment and Learning approached some assessment coordinators within the colleges and raised the idea of creating an Assessment Support Group that is based on the Community of Practice concept. Community of Practice is conceptualized as an informal aggregation of members who are drawn by common interests to engage in sense-making activities though sharing, learning and solving problems. This Assessment Support Group will be guided from several principles that have been suggested from scholars.
The mission of the KSU Assessment Support Group is to encourage and promote a culture of assessment. We will develop assessment skills and strategies through discussions in the monthly meetings in which trust, respect, commitment, and equality enable us to work in partnership in order to synthesize the best practice in different areas.
The goals of the KSU Assessment Support Group are as follows:
- Provide a respectful and open environment for members to share problems and exchange ideas about assessment in ways that builds trust and fosters equality
- Work toward solutions to issues identified as priorities within the assessment field
- Invite people from different levels of assessment engagement
- Develop, support, and share assessment best practices
- Promote collaboration across disciplines