Graduate Certificate Application
To complete the application process a graduate applicant MUST review this list in order to gather necessary application materials prior to applying
- This option is for applicants who wish to take a limited number of graduate courses for self-improvement, intellectual curiosity or expansion of areas of professional expertise.
- At most 12 semester hours of credit may be petitioned to satisfy requirements for a degree program. Such a petition must receive approval of the department/school and of the appropriate graduate dean. Note that only 6 semester credit hours can be transferred in some departments/schools graduate programs.
- Submit the application at least four weeks prior to the start of the semester in which you plan to begin your coursework.
- There is a $15 nonrefundable application fee. You will be prompted to submit payment via the online application.
- You will be prompted to select the academic unit ( College of The Arts,College of Communication and Information, etc.) of your intended coursework or certificate program, if applicable. Further information can be found in the Graduate Programs Listing.
- Submit official transcripts in a sealed envelope from each college or university (except Kent State University) in which 8 semester hours or more were earned and send directly to:
Division of Graduate Studies
650 Hilltop Drive
Kent State University
Kent, OH 44242
Thank you for reviewing the graduate applicant requirements tip sheet. Please submit your application.
TIPS FOR SPRING, Summer or Fall 2018 APPLICANTS
If you intend to start your graduate study during the Spring, Summer or Fall 2018 term follow these instructions.
- Application Requirements - Review application requirements for your intended program.
- Submit Documents - Gather and prepare application requirements prior to starting the application. You will be instructed to upload your documents (e.g., transcripts, goal statements, writing samples, etc.) in the application.
- Checklist - The application portal checklist page, available after you submit your application, will identify any outstanding requirements needed to complete your application. Your application will not be forwarded to the department for review until all outstanding requirements have been satisfied. For your convenience, you will also be able to upload documents through your application portal checklist page.
- Letters of Recommendation - If your intended program requires letters of recommendation, you will be asked to identify your recommenders and provide their email address. The automated recommendation system will send an email to your recommender requesting that they complete a recommendation form/letter for you. Through the application portal you will be able to send reminders to your recommenders or change recommenders.
- Test Scores - If your intended program requires test scores (e.g., GRE, GMAT, PRAXIS), please requests that your test scores be sent to Kent State University directly from the test provider. We do NOT accept test scores provided by applicants. Kent State University’s college code for ETS (GRE and TOEFL) is 1367; GMAT is N4Q.
- Transcripts – Kent State University requires applicants to submit a copy of official transcripts from each college or university in which 8 or more semester credit hours were attempted. This includes both graduate and undergraduate coursework, as well as undergraduate coursework attempted while in high school. You may upload a copy of your official transcript in the application or you may forward your official transcript in a sealed envelope to Kent State University. Applicants offered admission will be required to submit all official transcripts issued directly from the originating college or university.
Application Fee - There is a $15 nonrefundable application fee. You will be prompted to submit payment via the online application.