Graduate Non-Degree Application
To complete the application process a graduate applicant MUST review this list in order to gather necessary application materials prior to applying. In addition to saving time and paper, students who apply online will also be able to check their application status by using the log in and personal identification number (PIN) established when starting the online application.
- This option is for applicants who wish to take a limited number of graduate courses for self-improvement, intellectual curiosity or expansion of areas of professional expertise.
- This classification is only for those students not working toward a graduate degree at Kent State University.
- At most 12 semester hours of credit may be petitioned to satisfy requirements for a degree program. Such a petition must receive approval of the department/school and of the appropriate graduate dean. Note that only 6 semester credit hours can be transferred in some departments/schools graduate programs.
- Non-degree students may not transfer credit earned at another university.
- Once registered, graduate non-degree students may continue to take courses for six years. Non-degree students whose enrollment window has closed during the six year period due to not enrolling in classes may use the Non-degree Student Re-activation form to become eligible to register again. Six years after the first registration, non-degree students will be inactivated and must reapply for admission if continued registration in graduate coursework at KSU is desired.
- Students who are pursuing graduate certificate programs should apply as a non-degree student, unless they are already in a degree program.
- Submit the application at least four weeks prior to the start of the semester in which you plan to begin your coursework.
- There is a $15 nonrefundable application fee. You will be prompted to submit payment via the online application.
- You will be prompted to select the academic unit ( College of The Arts,College of Communication and Information, etc.) of your intended coursework or certificate program, if applicable. Further information can be found in the Graduate Programs Listing.
- Submit official transcripts in a sealed envelope from each college or university (except Kent State University) in which 9 semester hours or more were earned and send directly to:
Division of Graduate Studies
650 Hilltop Drive
Kent State University
Kent, OH 44242
Thank you for reviewing the graduate applicant requirements tip sheet. Please submit your application.
Notes for Applicants
- Submit Documents - Gather and prepare application requirements prior to starting the application. You will be instructed to upload your transcripts, goal statement and résumé.
- Transcripts – Kent State University requires applicants to submit a copy of official transcripts from each college or university in which 8 or more semester credit hours were attempted. This includes both graduate and undergraduate coursework, as well as undergraduate coursework attempted while in high school. You may upload a copy of your official transcript in the application or you may forward your official transcript in a sealed envelope to Kent State University. Applicants offered admission will be required to submit all official transcripts issued directly from the originating college or university.
- Application Fee - There is a $15 nonrefundable application fee. You will be prompted to submit payment via the online application.
Checklist - The application portal checklist page, available after you submit your application, will identify any outstanding requirements needed to complete your application. Your application will not be forwarded to the department for review until all outstanding requirements have been satisfied. For your convenience, you will also be able to upload documents through your application portal checklist page.