Who are sponsored students?
International sponsored students are partially or entirely supported during their academic programs for the cost of their tuition, fees, living expenses and other amenities by governments (U.S. or foreign), international organizations, public or private companies, and other third party entities.
More than 30 percent of the international students enrolled at Kent State are sponsored by a foreign government or agency, by the U.S. government, or by a foundation, private company or university. Countries represented by sponsored students include Saudi Arabia, Oman, Brazil, Iraq, Libya, Kuwait, UAE, Pakistan, Tunisia, Jordan, Egypt, Syria, Vietnam, Russia, Namibia, Panama, and Ecuador.
Individual attention and support
The Sponsored Student Services Department at the Office of Global Education serves as a central point of contact for, and liaison between, sponsoring agencies, sponsored students and a variety of offices across campus.
If you are a sponsored student or a sponsoring organization, contact Sponsored Student Services email@example.com for more information.
Services we provide for international sponsored students include:
- Admission application assistance and advising.
- Individual advising sessions specifically designed for sponsored students.
- Coordination between admissions office, academic departments, and the English as a Second Language (ESL) program.
- Liaison with Residence Services to reserve on-campus housing for students (when requested by sponsor) and assistance in identifying off-campus housing options for eligible students.
- Assistance for students in fulfilling sponsor’s requirements, terms and expectations.
- Airport pick-up (if requested by sponsor) and arrival assistance for newly arriving students.
- Assistance with documentation required by the sponsor, including official transcripts.
- Course registration and collaboration with academic units.
- Cultural adjustment and engagement on campus and in the community.
- Identifying community service and internship opportunities.
We provide the following support for governments and sponsoring organizations:
- Single point of contact for the sponsor to communicate with the university.
- Special handling of immigration documentation and support letters for students and sponsors.
- Liaison between sponsoring agencies and various academic and administrative units.
- Preparation of placement forms and host institution application forms.
- Issuance of official transcripts to sponsoring agencies at the end of each semester.
- Third party billing services and individual student invoices.
- Deferred billing in order to facilitate student registration.
- Coordination of site visits at the request of sponsoring agencies.
- Regular visits to sponsors to sustain and strengthen collaboration.