Recognized For Safety
SAFETY ON CAMPUS Kent State University is one of Ohio’s safest campuses according to the FBI’s Uniform Crime Report, and Kent State had the first nationally accredited university police department in Ohio.
Kent State students benefit from the safety and security of the campus
Kent State’s top Safety Services:
- Police Services provides 24-hour patrol and protection
- Officers patrol on foot, by bicycles and in cars
- Campus security and courtesy phones available in all buildings and parking lots
- 911 emergency telephone system is housed within Police Services and is accessible from all phones
- Campus-wide Emergency Alerting and Mass Notification system
- Secure residence halls are accessible by card swipe or key only
- Residential security aides provide escort services to and from campus buildings (8 p.m. – 4 a.m. every day)
- Numerous safety, awareness and risk reduction programs offered on campus
- Fire and life safety equipment inspected regularly (extinguishers, exit lights, sprinklers, etc.)
- Parking lots patrolled and restricted to permit holders; visitor parking is designated
- Campus-wide motorist assistance available 24 hours a day
Kent State University Police Services was one of the first accredited law enforcement agencies in Ohio and was the second university police department in the United States to be accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA).
Kent State University’s police department received CALEA’s highest award, advanced accreditation with excellence, at its most recent onsite.
CALEA has honored Kent State University Police Services with its highest award five consecutive times. Advanced accreditation with excellence and its predecessor, Flagship agency status, were established as unique means of recognizing law enforcement agencies that represent extraordinary examples of excellence in law enforcement accreditation. Kent State University is the first university police agency in the world to be awarded Flagship status and is also designated as a Meritorious Agency for having the distinction of being accredited for over 15 years.