Domestic M.A. FAQ

FAQ: Domestic Student Inquiries — M.A. Program

Application and Admission


Q.  Where should application materials be sent?
A.  All materials should be sent to:  Kent State University, Attn: Research and Graduate Studies, Graduate Admissions, PO Box 5190, Kent, OH  44242. 

Q.  Are students required to submit GRE scores?
A.  GREs are recommended but not required.

Q.  When is the application deadline?
A.  Applications are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year.  However, to be considered for a graduate assistantship, applicants should ensure that all application materials have been received by February 1, when awards are made for the following academic year. For the online program, applicants should send their application material by May 1, if possible.

Q.  Is there an application fee? What are the methods of payment?
A.  The application fee for Kent State University is $30.  It can be paid with a money order, a check, or charged on a credit card. 

Q.  Is a degree in a foreign language or experience with translation required for admission into the program?
A.  No.  Proficiency in your B-language (foreign language) is required, and can be demonstrated through the application materials, which include an audio tape recording and a writing sample in the B-language.  Background in translation, either academically or professionally, is not required.

Q.  What degree of fluency is required for the program?
A.  Students should be able to work at the graduate (advanced) level in their B-language.  Classes in language instruction are not offered as part of the program.

Q.  Is there any way to be considered for admission with a GPA of less than 3.0?
A.  The University requires a 2.75 for admission.  If the GPA is close, and the application is otherwise strong, conditional admission may be granted, depending on the materials submitted.

Q.  Is it possible to defer enrollment?
A.  Yes, though students must register for classes within two years of the date of admission.

Class Schedules and Availability

Q.  When and where are classes offered?
A.  Most classes start at 4:30 pm or later during the week.  There are no weekend classes, and core degree requirements are not offered during the summer.  Classes are only offered at the Kent campus.

Q.  Is it possible to attend part-time?
A.  Yes.  Students may work out an individual program with their advisors if they wish to attend part-time.

Q.  How long does it take to complete the program?
A.  The program takes two years to complete when a student attends full-time.  Because classes are sequential, it is suggested that students begin the program in the fall.

Q.  Are online classes offered?
A.  Yes, We are offering a new online M.A. program starting Fall 2018 in all language pairs. 

Q.  Does the program offer courses in interpreting?
A.  The focus of the degree is on translation, but occasionally a course will be offered on a specific area of interpreting, such as the medical field.

Q.  Can a student concentrate in two languages?
A.  While students may do work in more than one language, they may only concentrate in one.

Q.  Can coursework be completed abroad?
A.  There are a few exchange programs which are available, though none are offered directly through Kent State.  Students may discuss these options with their advisors once admitted into the program.

Graduate Assistantships, Financial Aid and Tuition

Q. How do I apply for a graduate assistantship?

 A. Graduate assistantships are available to qualified domestic and international applicants. To apply for a graduate assistantship, complete the one-page form titled Request for Graduate Assistantship, which can be found by searching under the document title on the Kent State website ( Submit the completed form with a current resumé to the Graduate Coordinator, Dr. Said Shiyab ( by February 1.

Q.  How much is tuition for a full-time student?
A.  For the 2016-2017 academic year, graduate tuition for Ohio residents is $505 per credit hour, which puts a typical 9 credit course load at $5,545 per semester.  For non-residents, graduate tuition is $1,075 per credit hour, for a total cost of $9,681 per semester.  For further details, check

Q.  What is a graduate assistantship?
A.  With a graduate assistantship, students generally teach one or two courses per semester in one of the languages offered by the department, at the lower division level.  This involves a maximum commitment of 20 hours per week.  A full graduate assistantship position provides an $9,500 yearly stipend, in addition to a full tuition waiver.

Q.  How can I apply for financial aid other than the graduate assistantship?
A.  Completion of the FAFSA (available to U.S. citizens) will allow the Federal Government to determine if you qualify for financial aid.  Qualified graduate students are eligible for a Federal Direct Subsidized Loan of up to $8,500 each year, as well as additional Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans.  You may also qualify for Federal Work Study.  For a complete list of financial aid options, go to the Student Financial Aid website.

Other Questions

Q.  Can credits from another Masters program be transferred toward this degree?
A.  Up to 12 hours of graduate credit may be transferred, as long as they fulfill requirements of Kent’s program, carry a grade of B or higher, and are less than six years old when the degree is awarded at Kent State.

Q.  Is child care available for graduate students in the department?
A.  There is no child care available.

Q.  Are there on-campus housing options available to graduate students?
A.  While most graduate students choose to live off-campus, certain options do exist on-campus.  Married students may choose to live at the Allerton Apartments, close to campus.  For a complete list, visit the Department of Residence Services website.

Q.  What kind of employment can be expected after I graduate with a Master’s Degree?
A.  Most graduates find employment as project managers in agencies or as independent translators.  A few work as in-house translators for companies or choose to pursue a doctoral degree.  According to a recent survey of the American Translators Association, about half of translators working in the U.S. are full-time independent contractors.