Domestic Ph.D. FAQ

Application and Admission

Q.  Where should application materials be sent?
A.  All materials should be sent to:  Kent State University, Attn: Research and Graduate Studies, Graduate Admissions, PO Box 5190, Kent, OH  44242. 

Q.  When is the application deadline?
A.  Applications must be submitted by February 1. 

Q.  Is a degree or experience in translation required for admission into the program?
A.  Yes.  Applications for admission to the doctoral program are accepted from students who have completed the M.A. in Translation, an M.A. in a Foreign Language, a Master's of Business Administration or a Master's in any other discipline with substantial prior experience or training in languages or linguistics.

Q.  What degree of fluency is required for the program?
A.  Students should be able to work at the graduate (advanced) level in their B-language. 

Q.  Is there any way to be considered for admission with a low GPA?
A.  Students must have a junior senior scholastic average of 3.0, and/or a grade point average of at least 3.5 during Master's studies to be considered for the program.

Q.  Is it possible to defer enrollment?
A.  Yes, though students must register for classes within two years of the date of admission.

Class Schedules and Availability

Q.  Is it possible to attend part-time?
A.  The Ph.D. program is normally open only to qualified individuals who can enroll as full-time students.

Q.  How long does it take to complete the program?
A.  The program takes four years to complete(two years of course work and dissertation)  when a student attends full-time (dissertation included).  Because classes are sequential, students begin the program in the fall.

Q.  Are online classes offered?
A.  There are no online classes in the department.

Doctoral Fellowships, Financial Aid and Tuition

Q.  How much is tuition for a full-time student?
A.  For the 2016-2017 academic year, graduate tuition for Ohio residents is $616 per credit hour, which puts a typical 9 credit course load at $5,545 per semester.  For non-residents, graduate tuition is $1,075 per credit hour, for a total cost of $9,681 per semester.  For further details, check:

Q.  What is a doctoral fellowship?
A.  With a doctoral fellowship, students generally teach one or two courses per semester in one of the language or translation courses offered by the department at the undergraduate level.  This involves a commitment of 20 hours per week. A full doctoral fellowship position provides a $13,000 yearly stipend, in addition to a full tuition waiver.

Q.  How can I apply for financial aid other than the doctoral fellowship?
A.  Completion of the FAFSA (available to U.S. citizens) will allow the Federal Government to determine if you qualify for financial aid.  Qualified graduate students are eligible for a Federal Direct Subsidized Loan of up to $8,500 each year, as well as additional Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans.  You may also qualify for Federal Work Study.  For a complete list of financial aid options, go to the Student Financial Aid website.

Other Questions

Q.  Can credits from another Ph.D. program be transferred toward this degree?
A.  Up to 12 hours of Ph.D. level credit may be transferred, as long as they fulfill requirements of Kent’s program, carry a grade of B or higher, and are less than nine years old when the degree is awarded at Kent State.

Q.  Is child care available for graduate students in the department?
A.  There is no child care available.

Q.  Are there on-campus housing options available to graduate students?
A.  While most graduate students choose to live off-campus, certain options do exist on-campus.  Married students may choose to live at the Allerton Apartments, close to campus.  For a complete list, visit the Department of Residence Services website.