International M.A. FAQ

FAQ: International Student Inquiries — M.A. Program

Application to the Program

Q.  Where should application materials be sent?
A.  All materials should be sent to:  Kent State University, Office of Global Education Attn: International Admissions, PO Box 5190, Kent, OH  44242.

Q.  Do students need to take the TOEFL?
A.  The TOEFL is required for international students whose native language is not English.  TOEFL scores are valid for two years.  Students who are U.S. citizens (born here) but grew up in a foreign country must take the TOEFL.  Students with green cards are treated as domestic students, but any transcripts from foreign countries must be evaluated by International Admissions.  The Cambridge Certificate (CAE or CPE) is not accepted as proof of sufficiency in English.

Q.  Can the TOEFL requirement be waived for students with a strong background in English?
A.  Students should contact International Admissions directly if they feel the TOEFL requirement should be waived.  The TOEFL can be waived if the student has two or more years of study at a U.S. institution.

Q.  Are students required to submit GRE scores?
A.  GRE’s are recommended but not required.

Q.  Does Kent State require original transcripts to be sent?
A.  The majority of transcripts sent are copies but need to be attested by your university registrar or head of department.  Notarized copies are not acceptable here in the United States or abroad.

Q.  When is the application deadline?
A.  Applicants are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year.  However, to be considered for a graduate assistantship, applicants should ensure that all application materials have been received by February 1, when awards are made for the following academic year.

Q. Is there an application fee? What are the methods of payment?
A.  The application fee for Kent State University is $70.  It can be paid with a money order, a check drawn on a US bank, or charged on a credit card.  Unfortunately, bank transfers are not an allowable method of payment.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Q.  Is there any way to be considered for admission with a GPA of less than 3.0?
A.  The University requires a 2.75 for admission.  If the GPA is close, and the application is otherwise strong, conditional admission may be granted, depending on the materials submitted.

Class Schedules and Availability

Q.  When and where are classes offered?
A.  Most classes start at 4:30 pm or later during the week.  There are no weekend classes, and core degree requirements are not offered during the summer.  Classes are only offered at the Kent campus.  There are no online classes in the department.

Q.  Is it possible to attend part-time?
A.  Yes.  Students may work out an individual program with their advisors if they wish to attend part-time.

Q.  How long does it take to complete the program?
A.  The program takes two years to complete when a student attends full-time.  Because classes are sequential, it is suggested that students begin the program in the fall.

Q.  Does the program offer courses in interpreting?
A.  The focus of the degree is on translation, but occasionally a course will be offered on a specific area of interpreting, such as the medical field.

Q.  Can a student concentrate in two languages?
A.  While students may do work in more than one language, they may only concentrate in one.

Q.   Does the program offer online courses?
A.  Yes. Starting in Fall 2018, the program will also be offered online in all language pairs. 

Graduate Assistantships, Financial Aid and Tuition

Q.  How much is tuition for a full-time student?
A.  For the 2016-2017 academic year, the cost of tuition for international students is the same as for Ohio non-residents.  Currently, this is $1,075 per credit hour, for a total cost of $9,681 for a typical 9 credit semester.  For further details, check

Q.  What is a graduate assistantship?
A.  With a graduate assistantship, students generally teach one or two courses per semester in one of the languages offered by the department, at the lower division level.  This involves a commitment of a maximum of 20 hours per week.  A full graduate assistantship position provides an $8,000 yearly stipend, in addition to a full tuition waiver.

Q.  How do I apply for a graduate assistantship?
A.  Graduate assistantships are available to qualified domestic and international applicants. To apply for a graduate assistantship, complete the one-page form titled Request for Graduate Assistantship, which can be found by searching under the document title on the Kent State website ( Submit the completed form with a current resumé to the Graduate Coordinator, Dr. Said Shiyab ( by February 1.

Q.  Are there any types of financial aid available to international students?


A.  The only aid offered by the department is the graduate assistantship.  For other financial aid, go to the Student Financial Aid website.


Q.  Does the university offer health insurance?
A.  Student health insurance may be purchased through The Chickering Group.  For the 2013-2014 academic year, the student-only annual premium was $1,861.  However, with the stipend, graduate assistants paid only $558.

Other Questions

Q.  What happens after I am accepted into a graduate program at Kent State University?
A.  Once you are accepted into the program, The Office of Global Education will send you an I-20 visa packet with information about applying for your visa and setting up your visa interview.  Should you be awarded a graduate assistantship with MCLS/IAL, a booklet of information will also be forwarded to you.  Information about the ONTAP program and International Student Orientation will be sent to you before your arrival.

Q.  Can credits from another Masters program be transferred toward this degree?
A.  Up to 12 hours of graduate credit may be transferred, as long as they fulfill requirements of Kent’s program, carry a grade of B or higher, and are less than six years old when the degree is awarded at Kent State.

Q.  Is child care available for graduate students in the department?
A.  There is no child care available.

Q.  Are there on-campus housing options available to graduate students?
A.  While most graduate students choose to live off-campus, certain options do exist on-campus.  Married students may choose to live at the Allerton Apartments, close to campus.  For a complete list, visit the Department of Residence Services website.

Q.  What kind of employment can be expected after I graduate with a Master’s Degree?
A.  Most graduates find employment as project managers in agencies, some as in-house translators for companies, or as independent translators.  A few choose to pursue a doctoral degree.  According to a recent survey of the American Translators Association, about half of translators working in the U.S. are full-time independent contractors.