International Ph.D. FAQ

Q.  Where should application materials be sent?
A.  All materials should be sent to:  Kent State University, Office of Global Education, Attn: International Admissions, PO Box 5190, Kent, OH  44242.

Q.  Do students need to take the TOEFL?
A.  The TOEFL is required for international students whose native language is not English.  TOEFL scores are valid for two years.  Students who are U.S. citizens (born here) but grew up in a foreign country must take the TOEFL.  Students with green cards are treated as domestic students, but any transcripts from foreign countries must be evaluated by International Admissions.

Q.  Can the TOEFL requirement be waived for students with a strong background in English?
A.  Students should contact International Admissions directly if they feel the TOEFL requirement should be waived.  The TOEFL can be waived if the student has two or more years of study at a U.S. institution.

Q.  Is the Cambridge Certificate (CAE or CPE) accepted as proof of sufficiency in English?
A.  No.  TOEFL scores must be submitted.

Q.  Does Kent State require original transcripts to be sent?
A.  The majority of transcripts sent are copies but need to be attested by your university registrar or head of department.  Notarized copies are not acceptable here in the States or out of the country.

Q.  When is the application deadline?
A.  Applications must be submitted by February 1.

Q.  Is there any way to be considered for admission with a low GPA?
A.  Students must have a junior senior scholastic average of 3.0, and/or a grade point average of at least 3.5 during Master's studies to be considered for the program.

Class Schedules and Availability

Q.  Is it possible to attend part-time?
A.  The Ph.D. program is normally open only to qualified individuals who can enroll as full-time students.

Q.  How long does it take to complete the program?
A.  The program takes four years to complete (two years of course work and dissertation) when a student attends full-time (dissertation included).  Because classes are sequential, students begin the program in the fall.

Doctoral Fellowships, Financial Aid and Tuition

Q.  How much is tuition for a full-time student?
A.  For the 2019-2020 academic year, the cost of tuition for international students is the same as for Ohio non-residents.  Currently, this is $999 per credit hour, for a total cost of $8991 for a typical 9 credit semester.  For further details, check

Q.  What is a doctoral fellowship?
A.  With a doctoral fellowship, students generally teach one or two courses per semester in one of the translation or language courses offered by the department at the undergraduate level. 

Q.  Are there any types of financial aid available to international students?
A.  The only aid offered by the department is the doctoral fellowship.  For other financial aid, go to the Student Financial Aid website.

Q.  Does the university offer health insurance?
A.  Student health insurance may be purchased through UnitedHealthcare


Q.  What happens after I am accepted into a graduate program at Kent State University?
A.  Once you are accepted into the program, International and Comparative Programs will send you an I-20 visa packet with information about applying for your visa and setting up your visa interview.  Should you be awarded a doctoral fellowship with MCLS/IAL, a booklet of information will also be forwarded to you.

Q.  What do I do once I arrive in Kent?
A.  Information about the ONTAPprogram and International Student Orientation will be sent to you before your arrival.

Other Questions

Q.  Can credits from another Ph.D. program be transferred toward this degree?
A.  Up to 12 hours of Ph.D. level credit may be transferred, as long as they fulfill requirements of Kent’s program, carry a grade of B or higher, and are less than nine years old when the degree is awarded at Kent State.

Q.  Is child care available for graduate students in the department?
A.  There is no child care available.

Q.  Are there on-campus housing options available to graduate students?
A.  While most graduate students choose to live off-campus, certain options do exist on-campus.  Married students may choose to live at the Allerton Apartments, close to campus.  For a complete list, visit the Department of Residence Services website.