M.A. in Translation Studies
To be considered for acceptance in the graduate programs (Master's Program, or Ph.D. Program) in translation, the student must complete an application for graduate admission (forms for domestic students are available from Graduate Studies and for international students with the Office of Global Education's International Admissions); and fulfill the entrance requirements (See list of application materials below) in the graduate Programs in Translation.
It is suggested that the application file be completed by February 1, especially if the applicant wants to be considered for a graduate assistantship, and May 1 for the online program.
In addition to submitting the application materials, official transcripts, and application fee required by university admission procedures, departmental requirements include:
- A 3.0 or higher grade point average in all undergraduate work or graduate work
- If the candidate is an international student, TOEFL scores of at least 550 (Written test) or 80 (internet based) or another certification of English proficiency acceptable to the university such as a Band of 6. 5 on the IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
- Two 5 minute oral statements of purpose (CD or MP3/wav audio-file) in the student’s first and second language (conversational, not read from a script). International students should submit two oral statements: one in English and one in the language for which they are applying if it is not their native language (B and C languages). The oral statement should describe the student's experience in their second language.
- Writing samples: 1. a goal statement, as known as statement of purpose, in English. 2. a statement or essay of at least 300 words in the second language chosen by the applicant. The essay/sample can be a paper written for a class. The writing samples should be accompanied by a signed declaration that they are the student's original work and that the student has received no help in their preparation. (The use of dictionaries and other reference work is permitted.)
- Three letters of recommendation