What Is Software Localization?
Software localization refers to the process of conforming software and the digital user experience to the language and cultural norms of an end user in any geographic region. When it comes to computer software localization, it’s much more than just translating from one language to another. Localizing software makes the user experience feel more natural by focusing on elements of design and visual format of the layout itself.
With software localization, it’s important to focus on locale as you enter into global markets. You want to be as specific as possible to the culture in the geographic region being targeted. Computer software localization involves a variety of cultural aspects and country-specific preferences including:
- Units of measurement
- Symbols and fonts
- Societal expectations
- Traditions and calendar events
- Hand gestures and signage
- Format of addresses, numbers, dates, and times
- Accounting measurements
- Local regulations
- Spelling and phrasing of certain concepts
A Career in Software Localization
There are a lot of moving parts when it comes to computer software localization, so it’s important to effectively communicate with all collaborators. This includes translators, engineers, developers, product managers, stakeholders and any other team member involved in localizing the software.
Choosing a career path within software localization involves tasks such as:
- Analyzing technical, cultural, and linguistic materials
- Implementing a terminology glossary
- Adapting software to translate to the target language, including the digital interface
- Compiling localized files for implementation
- Ensuring functionality within various interfaces
- Defining relevant quality metrics for content that needs localization
- Assessing and adapting the localized software based on project feedback
A successful career in computer software localization requires you to be detail-oriented with strong problem-solving skills. In addition, it’s important to be technologically minded and culturally aware of the global scope that’s involved within software localization.
Choose Kent State University for Your Degree in Translation
If you’re looking for a flexible translation program that can be completed on a part-time or full-time basis, our Master of Arts in Translation online program is ideal. We offer students six language focuses, including in Arabic, French, Japanese, German, Spanish and Russian.
By joining our program, you will not only immerse yourself in the nation’s most comprehensive master’s degree program in translation, but you’ll also be able to hone your skills, putting you on a path to a career in software localization.
Our translation program offers many advantages for those looking to pursue computer software localization and other career fields. Some of these benefits include:
- Knowledgeable faculty who will provide guidance and support to your individual career path
- Gain essential skills in critical thinking, writing, research and collaborative problem solving
- Cultural immersion with countless study abroad programs
- Opportunity to build connections and stand out with multilingualism in a competitive career market
- Courses specifically designed by industry experts to utilize various learning methods that develop language fluency
- Intercultural communication within the language industry
- Specialized translation practice
Contact Kent State Today to Get Your Career Started in Software Localization
Be sure to reach out to us today for more information about a career in computer software localization. If you’re ready to get started, check out our admissions page to learn more about the application process. We are happy to assist you in any way we can!