Program Requirements beyond Coursework
- A 2.5 GPA is required for entrance into the Art Education program and upper division courses. A "C" or better is required in all major course requirements, including Art Education, Art History, Studio Art and Education courses.
- Students are required to complete Bureau of Criminal Investigation and Identification (BCII) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) background checks and submit the results to authorized personnel at their assigned school/agency . Information will be given by the course instructor during the first Art Education course ARTE 31001 Foundation and Concepts in Art Education.
- Successful completion of at least 39 upper-division hours of coursework (courses number 30000-49999) is required.
- Complete ARTE 41009: Art Education Major Review the semester prior to student teaching. Start early to prepare for your Art Education Major Review. Keep all studio work and class work in order. You will have to produce a portfolio of 10-15 art works that represent your skills in a broad range of media. If you know you are weak in a studio area, be diligent in working toward improvement. Keep all class notes and materials. Part of the Review process includes annotated bibliographies (summaries of readings) and personal/critical reflections on them. Make note of readings (particularly readings from the past 10 years) that resonate with your beliefs. They will assist you in the Review process.
- Praxis Core, and OEA (Professional Assessments for Beginning Teachers)
- Advanced Study (Professional Standards)
- Student Teaching