College of the Arts Career Conference
Do you want to know what awaits you after graduation?
Would you like to know more about career options in your field?
Do you want to know about how to survive as a freelance artist?
Would you like to know how others like you started their own enterprises?
Come to Arts without Limits: Explore Careers in the Arts.
The Conference was a huge success -- thanks to all alumni, faculty, students and Advising staff!
Over thirty-five alumni, faculty and staff will share their experiences and answer your questions about career options, pathways and how to make the most of your time here at Kent State. Come and make connections with alums working in your field! IT’S FREE!
The conference kicks off at 2 p.m. in the KIVA with a short keynote by Jeff Syroney, B. A. Theatre (1994) alum and Moderator/Market Research Specialist with Ipsos Unlimited. Learn about his career path and how he went from working for theatre non-profits to founding the Cincinnati Fringe Festival to where he is today!
With 10 years of national and international qualitative market research experience as well as 15 years managing non profit organizations, Jeff Syroney brings to his work a spirit of creativity, flexibility, innovation, curiosity, and sense of humor. His unique talent set draws on storytelling, writing, editing, strategic facilitation, improvisation, and business acumen in order to reach deeper consumer insight and understanding. Jeff Syroney is a Senior Strategist for Ipsos Understanding Unlimited, an international market research firm. An ideal career for the curious, as a researcher he spends his days seeking to understand the conscious and unconscious motivations of consumers. Prior to joining the mysterious “for profit” sector, Jeff enjoyed an eclectic and expansive arts career. Most recently, he served as the Executive Director of InkTank, an award-winning writing and literacy center as well as co-founding the Cincinnati Fringe Festival, now celebrating its fifteenth season. Serving in leadership roles for Cleveland Public Theatre, Cleveland San Jose Ballet, Great Lakes Theater, United States Association of Fringe Festivals, and the Cincinnati Ballet, provided an education into human insight he incorporates into his current position. For a brief period, he paused his arts aspirations to satisfy his travel bug working for Celebrity Cruise Lines. He is the recipient of numerous accolades including the Defender of Literacy Award by the Society of Professional Journalism, Best Arts Director, Forty Under 40 Award, and Ipsos’ International Entrepreneurial Spirit Award. Jeff is often asked to present at national and international conferences including recent key notes around "Making the Case for Humor and Market Research" in Prague and Sao Paulo. A native of Cleveland, Jeff's roots are firmly transplanted into the Cincinnati region after falling in love with his very funny wife, Katie Rankin Syroney, and assuming the role of doting father to his children, Oscar and Ivy.
Two, one-hour panels will follow. You will have a chance to go to two of the following panels:
- The life of a freelance artist - So you think you can (dance, act, perform, sing, design)! You can!
- The panel questions will cover subjects such as building a network, finding opportunities, promoting yourself, saving for taxes and the lean times, leadership and finding an ideal location to do your work.
- How you turn your B.A. Degree into a career: Making your way.
- The panel questions will cover subjects such as career options and paths, discovering how to apply your knowledge and skills, creating and building opportunity and networking.
- The numerous and varied paths of a music career.
- The panel questions will cover subjects such as career options and paths, discovering how to apply your knowledge and skills, creating and building opportunity, networking, copyright and working with agents.
- Teaching the Arts: Discover opportunities in Education from K-12 and beyond
- The panel questions will cover subjects such creating your own studio, public and private education, career in combination (creating and teaching), and graduate school education.
- Starting and maintaining your own enterprise: Turn your passion into your career
- The panel questions will cover subjects such creating your own studio, new venture creation, venture growth, building and maintaining clients, and working with partners.
- Beginning a Career: Lifelong Learning and Earning
- The panel questions will cover subjects such building a network, negotiating changes in your career path, sustaining a career over time, life/work balance, and maintaining a business or free-lance career.
Find us on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/events/929881220511132/